Banks and bureaucracy

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I tried today at BDO, to open a joint savings account with my daughter but could not and I do have an ACR card. I showed her that I have 2 joint accounts with my wife but she said new rules.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

I have a joint BDO account with my SO and we are not married

Yes, I agree the rule seems to be within each bank but it looks like you got lucky as all banks I have asked do not permit it.  You are the first I have heard of who has done that so I learned something new today.

3 hours ago, jpbago said:

I tried today at BDO, to open a joint savings account with my daughter but could not and I do have an ACR card.

There ya go.  Same bank, different policy.  That's more the norm, jp.  Huggy just got lucky.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

jpbago
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes, I agree the rule seems to be within each bank but it looks like you got lucky as all banks I have asked do not permit it.  You are the first I have heard of who has done that so I learned something new today.

There ya go.  Same bank, different policy.  That's more the norm, jp.  Huggy just got lucky.

Not so. Let me be the 2nd person to have gotten a joint account at BDO with my SO and we are not married. We have 2 joint accounts at different BDOs. That was back in 2012 and 2013. She said today that the rules have changed. Another new rule is the ATM/Passbook account minimum balance thingamajig is now 10,000 ph. It used to be 5,000 ph. This is so you don't go into over draught and have your account closed. For ATM only, it is 2,000 ph.

• I'm Confused 2
  • Sad 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

Well I commented on the other thread Ron, so while not to beat a dead horse, here's what we did. Showed up at PNB with Janet looking particularly wealthy. I was absolutely ready to be denied based on no ACR and in that case would have just gotten my wife the account. But we showed our passports with BB privilege stamps, and our rental agreement and we were good. Now was it a situation where different banks have different rules, was it the BB privilege stamp, the rental agreement, the comment that I would be looking to move a significant amount of money through my account (a gross exaggeration); I don't know. Perhaps it was my guapo grin. In fact the banker was trying to convince me to use PNB, saying that PNB accepted Social Security payments. I told her that if I liked PNB I would in the future change my Social Security receiving bank to PNB. So who knows what the reason was - maybe just dumb luck.

I would try another bank or another branch of the same bank. Whomever gets your business is lucky - you're a rich foreigner - look at it that way. 

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 8/24/2017 at 1:55 PM, Snowy79 said:

I opened a Peso and a Pound account with the HSBC in Makati on a tourist visa using my Scottish address as proof. Strange I know but they wouldn't use my Philippines address as I hadn't lived there long enough. I forgot to mention I'd sold my Scottish property before arriving in the Philippines.

Really and normally you do everything by the book haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 8/24/2017 at 10:04 AM, Jack Peterson said:

Oh yes but have to say I hear some good things about Metro so I would say go for it mate, Had you been here I am sure you would have had little to no problem with a bank but......:whistling:

Yes I would be with 'Jack the fixer' and it would be smooth sailing, thanks Jack.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, davewe said:

Well I commented on the other thread Ron, so while not to beat a dead horse, here's what we did. Showed up at PNB with Janet looking particularly wealthy. I was absolutely ready to be denied based on no ACR and in that case would have just gotten my wife the account. But we showed our passports with BB privilege stamps, and our rental agreement and we were good. Now was it a situation where different banks have different rules, was it the BB privilege stamp, the rental agreement, the comment that I would be looking to move a significant amount of money through my account (a gross exaggeration); I don't know. Perhaps it was my guapo grin. In fact the banker was trying to convince me to use PNB, saying that PNB accepted Social Security payments. I told her that if I liked PNB I would in the future change my Social Security receiving bank to PNB. So who knows what the reason was - maybe just dumb luck.

I would try another bank or another branch of the same bank. Whomever gets your business is lucky - you're a rich foreigner - look at it that way. 

I think it was the latter Dave, especially guapo looks.  But it is more likely total inconsistency or disregard when they see a 'rich foreigner' come to the bank - if only they knew.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 8/24/2017 at 4:59 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Huggybear was born bloody lucky I am sure.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

'Jack the fixer'

:hystery: Don't know about that, Just happen to know a Lot of people in the right places and that, is Due to Mrs Jack of course  thumbs up from a lady.jpg  :whistling:

Jack:smile:

Morning All:morning1: ( on my own this mornings as She is doing some Unpaid Overtime tree Planting :shades:)

Noreco II Negros Oriental Electric Coop II Donate and Plant about 1000 per year all over the Coverage Area ( Bawan to the south and Tanjay in the North), I believe Noreco I do the Same on their Coverage Area.

Just a little Trivia as I am loose on the Keyboard ( TM  Sprog.jpg is doing whatever they do to escape work around the House ) :mellow: