PLDT Fibr vs SkyCable Fibr

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

Are you able to see your daily/monthly usage in the PLDT my home Account?

I checked, due to your recommendation but I see no usage numbers.  I currently have no-limit DSL Internet so there would be no reason to keep track.

And the problem is, the more I have the more I use.  So I am wondering if I will use more bandwidth when and if I have 50 Mbps available to me.  But I am gradually selling myself on the idea so there is a good chance I will try it.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am gradually selling myself on the idea so there is a good chance I will try it.

By a strange co-incidence the plan is on special this weekend so I applied online.  The weekend special is for free installation so waiting for them to get around to approving my application to upgrade (or not :571c66d400c8c_1(103): ).

I chose 50Mpbs with the 300 GB cap.  Seems more than enough to me.  It will cost me 1899 a month and my existing plan costs me 1740 for 3 Mbps.  What I do not know is if this is in addition to the 1740 I am already paying (no one around to contact).  I do not know if they will continue to charge me for a landline or if one is required.  I do not know if they supply a wifi router, or if my existing PLDT router will work, or if I have to buy one from them or if I can buy one from any store.

In short, I don't know squat and I feel like the guinea pig but I am willing to take the risk of getting screwed over by PLDT in order to get 50Mbps fibr.  Wish me luck.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

By a strange co-incidence the plan is on special this weekend so I applied online.  The weekend special is for free installation so waiting for them to get around to approving my application to upgrade (or not :571c66d400c8c_1(103): ).

I chose 50Mpbs with the 300 GB cap.  Seems more than enough to me.  It will cost me 1899 a month and my existing plan costs me 1740 for 3 Mbps.  What I do not know is if this is in addition to the 1740 I am already paying (no one around to contact).  I do not know if they will continue to charge me for a landline or if one is required.  I do not know if they supply a wifi router, or if my existing PLDT router will work, or if I have to buy one from them or if I can buy one from any store.

In short, I don't know squat and I feel like the guinea pig but I am willing to take the risk of getting screwed over by PLDT in order to get 50Mbps fibr.  Wish me luck.

I talked to a guy yesterday getting installed in Valencia next week. He said something like p1899 including router purchase and installation which is p140 of the monthly 1899. (If he understood them and I understood him correctly)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I talked to a guy yesterday getting installed in Valencia next week.

Dang, if everybody gets it then the speed will slow down. :hystery:  But I think you are saying it seems like a pretty good deal :thumbsup: 

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Dang, if everybody gets it then the speed will slow down. :hystery:  But I think you are saying it seems like a pretty good deal :thumbsup: 

Based on other plans I know about the price is good and it should be a quality connection. Their fiber service here is too new to have a good or bad reputation yet.

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

We forum members talked about a cap on usage a while back and I mentioned that I probably use 50 GB per week so I think a 300 GB cap would be fine if that is not a typo on their page.  Anyone using more than that for family use?  Like games, streaming movies, watching youtube surfing Facebook all day?

I googled PLDT usage and it said to click on this arrow from the dashboard but I cannot find the arrow. The reason I ask as 50 GB a week seems like a lot. We use 24 GB monthly average in Canada on my 40 GB plan with Bell.

BTW, PLDT has a switch promo speed plan up to 50 mbps 300 GB cap for 950 ph plus 3600 installation on now but you need to bring in a non PLDT bill. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):We got hat a few years ago when we switched from Globe. We got the 1299 ph plan for 650 ph for one year.

Ever try the chat from the PLDT site? Always busy. Wonder who she is chatting with. When you do see a PLDT tech, get his cell number. He can get thru to the boss quicker than you can.

From their site, it looks like you will get the 1899 ph plan plus 3600 ph one time for modem and installation. I don't see the weekend promo.

Edited by jpbago
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So I am wondering if I will use more bandwidth when and if I have 50 Mbps available to me.

Yes, you will!  When you realize that you can download the first 6 seasons of GOT, 30 gb, in less than an hour, you start downloading stuff you wouldn't consider when it took days.

You will need some more hard drives too!

Disclaimer:  A friend downloaded GOT and told me about it.  It was not me.

• Thanks 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In addition:  Do any of our members even have PLDT fibr yet?  They also offer high speeds up to 50Mbps with a 300 gb per month cap which seems like lots to me.  BUT I want to know if I can give up the phone line or if its a requirement.  I never use the landline but it is a PLDT requirement to get the DSL service.  Is it a requirement for the fibr service?

Watch this space, I will be connected in 2 weeks, already and waiting for me when we move.  It is run by Lueco a large local Electrical Company who put all the cable in.  The techs I spoke to are saying users are getting 15-18mps.  Will keep you updated.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

We are being charged 3k for installation and i would assume a router is needed.  I doubt your existing one will suffice.  No phone needed it i s cabled to your door. Maybe 'free installation' will not include the router, I doubt they are that generous.  So looks like you will have it before me.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

If your internet speed  is so bad Dave, how come you can manage non stop posts on the fiorum???? Maybe you have a computer that sends them whilst you are asleep????haha

• Like 1