PLDT Fibr vs SkyCable Fibr

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

If your internet speed  is so bad Dave, how come you can manage non stop posts on the fiorum??

Just trying to keep up with you :hystery: But seriously, if people would stop encouraging me by "liking" the stuff I write then I would stop posting.  Too bad that doesn't work for everyone though :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I do not know if they supply a wifi router, or if my existing PLDT router will work, or if I have to buy one from them or if I can buy one from any store.

I would assume that the set up would be the same as in Australia as fiber is fiber, see pic. Modem is usually part of the set up but if not your old modem may not be compatible. 

2017-09-01_170330.jpg

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
added wee bit
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Just trying to keep up with you :hystery: But seriously, if people would stop encouraging me by "liking" the stuff I write then I would stop posting.  Too bad that doesn't work for everyone though :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

I will work on that.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

The guy opposite me has PLDT fibre, 20mb unlimited P1899 plus P3600 installation inc modem. Instead of tv he subscribes to Netflix, 6 Euros a month, not that much then. He tells me that it streams pretty good so no need for a tv plan as well. I will look into that myself at some point.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, virginprune said:

The guy opposite me has PLDT fibre, 20mb unlimited P1899 plus P3600 installation inc modem. Instead of tv he subscribes to Netflix, 6 Euros a month, not that much then. He tells me that it streams pretty good so no need for a tv plan as well. I will look into that myself at some point.

I have an apps box that I have used for 2 years in Thailand and it transportable all over the world.  I streamed sport, movies, tv series, documentaries, etc etc and never needed cable or tv, just my apps box.   I am hoping it will work when I get optic fiber and from what I am told, it will work well.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
On 8/31/2017 at 5:19 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I'm considering upgrading myPLDT DSL "Up to" 5 Mbps plan which only actually gives me about 3 Mbps on average.  These are the 2 plans available to me in my subdivision:

SkyCable: "Up to" 16Mbps unlimited including most common cable tv programs and wifi router 1,999

PLDT: "Up to" 20Mbps unlimited with nothing else included for 1,899

Has anyone got any comments on either of these plans or recommendations on alternatives?  I don't need super fast speeds all the time but I would like a consistent 6 Mbps or better and if I get the PLDT I still pay 499 a month for cable TV.

Well the weekend promo has come and gone. Did you make the move?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jpbago said:

Well the weekend promo has come and gone. Did you make the move?

According to PLDT

Fibr Speed Plan 1899
Remarks:  Your application is currently being processed

So I will let you know once I am "processed" :89:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

According to PLDT

So I will let you know once I am "processed" :89:

After reading this thread, out of curiosity I went down to the PLDT store in Robinson's. No expectation that fiber would be available in my new neighborhood in Valencia. But to my surprise they said that yes it is. I confirmed about 3 times. So I too am going this route and will see what the next couple of weeks brings. 

Joe P
Posted
Posted

I'm new to the PH, just getting set up in Cebu City.  In fact, this is my first post so a newbie here on this forum as well.

The original post in this thread mentioned Sky Cable broadband, which I'm seeking an opinion on. Somewhere along the way here, I heard that PLDT has superior uptime performance to Sky.

Is that true?

Also, any observations on Sky's speed, latency, or throttling (when using bandwidth for streaming Netflix or music services)? 

The condo we rented has PLDT "Plan 2650 @ 8 Mbps" on which I usually get 6 down/ 0.8 up/ ping 42.

I've been offered a "One Sky Broadband + Video On Demand" package with "unlimited data allowance at 25 Mbps" for P1,899 by our building's Sky rep (yes, I see that it's just "40% of the speed, 80% of the time" guaranteed). I have a Sky cable TV package, so I may ask for a bundled deal if I get a thumbs up from this forum's knowledgeable netizens. Thanks!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Joe P said:

I've been offered a "One Sky Broadband + Video On Demand"

:hystery: You are a foreigner you can't demand things Oooops.jpg sorry! my Humour is coming back, BTW Welcome.jpg You will get used to us all I am sure

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little