PLDT Fibr vs SkyCable Fibr

davewe
Posted
Posted
On 9/1/2017 at 10:36 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I chose 50Mpbs with the 300 GB cap.  Seems more than enough to me.  

In short, I don't know squat and I feel like the guinea pig but I am willing to take the risk of getting screwed over by PLDT in order to get 50Mbps fibr.  Wish me luck.

I chose the same plan. The lady asked me whether I was sure I wouldn't prefer the unlimited (20Mpbs but unlimited) and I said no. But frankly I don't know how much we use. Wife and I are basic internet users; we're on the net often, but mostly basic email, web surfing, and YouTube videos. No Internet gaming. Granted I occasionally download a movie - that's probably the biggest bandwidth usage I would have. So is 300 GB enough for us? It sounds big but since my US Internet was unlimited I never kept track.

robert k
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, davewe said:

I chose the same plan. The lady asked me whether I was sure I wouldn't prefer the unlimited (20Mpbs but unlimited) and I said no. But frankly I don't know how much we use. Wife and I are basic internet users; we're on the net often, but mostly basic email, web surfing, and YouTube videos. No Internet gaming. Granted I occasionally download a movie - that's probably the biggest bandwidth usage I would have. So is 300 GB enough for us? It sounds big but since my US Internet was unlimited I never kept track.

Dave, I think that would be plenty as long as there are no daily caps, some days you use less, some days you use more.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:hystery: You are a foreigner you can't demand things Oooops.jpg sorry! my Humour is coming back, BTW Welcome.jpg You will get used to us all I am sure

But you get very 'demanding' sometimes Jack hehe!!!  These speeds for cable are terrible, where is the cable coming from?  Where we are, it came ashore from Hong Kong just down the road and there is not a lot of roll out at this stage.  There are 6 Barangays in SF and some businesses down the National Highway have it.  I broke some new ground when I went to see them and they agreed to install into our small village.  Am anxiously awaiting how that pans out.

The techs that I spoke to said 15=18  is being constantly achieved.  I am hoping.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, davewe said:

So is 300 GB enough for us? It sounds big but since my US Internet was unlimited I never kept track.

I am wondering too.  I think its more than enough but I don't like to have to keep track of my usage.  I have heard that the upload speeds are great with this Fibr package and so we may want to watch the uploading on any torrent programs we are using as that will all count to our usage.

I am sure that I don't use 300 GB a month now, but as I enjoy the high speeds I might.  We shall see.  My application is still "processing" so I guess they are quite busy with installs of this Fibr.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 9/1/2017 at 9:36 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

By a strange co-incidence the plan is on special this weekend so I applied online.  The weekend special is for free installation so waiting for them to get around to approving my application to upgrade (or not :571c66d400c8c_1(103): ).

I chose 50Mpbs with the 300 GB cap.  Seems more than enough to me.  It will cost me 1899 a month and my existing plan costs me 1740 for 3 Mbps.  What I do not know is if this is in addition to the 1740 I am already paying (no one around to contact).  I do not know if they will continue to charge me for a landline or if one is required.  I do not know if they supply a wifi router, or if my existing PLDT router will work, or if I have to buy one from them or if I can buy one from any store.In short, I don't know squat and I feel like the guinea pig but I am willing to take the risk of getting screwed over by PLDT in order to get 50Mbps fibr.  Wish me luck.

Good Luck Dave, I think you will be happy with it, if it is anywhere near what they are suggesting.  Let me know how you go with the 300g limit, that sounds plenty, but when I am home it is on all the time 7 days a week. Except slepp time of course.  I don't use cable or anything else, just my apps box (which I know you can get here).  

There is a Korean apps box being sold in Nth Luzon I have not found out too much about it, but if you have these available down there, it is well worth looking into.  I paid 5000 bht in Thailand 3 years ago for mine, they about around there now for 4-5,000k and you would have everything you ever need for entertainment at no other cost.  Just upgrades from time to time, but many can do that themselves.  

I will be able to watch Aussie horse racing, all sports, like Rugby League, Rugby Union, Cricket (which I am sure you are thrilled about) but the same will apply for your Canadian sports etc. Aussie News Channels, etc. heaps of movies, tv series, documentaries etc etc.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 9/4/2017 at 1:15 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

According to PLDT

So I will let you know once I am "processed" :89:

UPDATE:

PLDT Note.jpg

Application Cancelled.  No reason given.  They said they sent an email but they did not.  I sent email to ask what kind of business they are running but I am not overly concerned.  I shall stick with what I have for the moment.  3 Mbps will have to be fast enough.  Before anyone says the Fibr may not be available in my area, I have already checked with the tech guys and it is.

robert k
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

UPDATE:

PLDT Note.jpg

Application Cancelled.  No reason given.  They said they sent an email but they did not.  I sent email to ask what kind of business they are running but I am not overly concerned.  I shall stick with what I have for the moment.  3 Mbps will have to be fast enough.  Before anyone says the Fibr may not be available in my area, I have already checked with the tech guys and it is.

Maybe they decided there wouldn't be enough greater profit off you Dave since you already were a customer? They want to lure new customers with the fiber?

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

To my surprise and delight we got a call this morning from the PLDT installers. Installed the fiber and we now have fiber Internet + a land line. They actually made the original estimate of 10-14 days! 

Janet of course served snacks after the install and I got to talk to the guy. He said that E. Balabag and up into Valencia were the install areas for now - he had no idea why but I sure am not complaining. He said we were literally the 1st install in our neighborhood.

For what it's worth we did a speed test and the upload and download speeds were in the mid-40s.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, davewe said:

To my surprise and delight we got a call this morning from the PLDT installers. Installed the fiber and we now have fiber Internet + a land line. They actually made the original estimate of 10-14 days! 

Janet of course served snacks after the install and I got to talk to the guy. He said that E. Balabag and up into Valencia were the install areas for now - he had no idea why but I sure am not complaining. He said we were literally the 1st install in our neighborhood.

For what it's worth we did a speed test and the upload and download speeds were in the mid-40s.

Did you think to get the installers/engineers mobile number while treating them to snacks?  I have found having their number a great way to circumvent the crap customer service one is forced to endure from the official route. 

Ken

• Like 1