Windows 10 your experience.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have a friend who bought a new PC with windows 8.1 installed he then did the free download and got 10 but after a few months his PC crashed and he had to get it repaired and re install 8.1.Now I have read on another thread that this also happened to Mogo.So has anyone downloaded/upgraded to 10 and what has been your experience.I ask this because soon I will be getting a desktop and would not buy one with 10 if it is rubbish. Thanks in advance.

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)

I upgraded both my laptops, Acer and HP, when W10 first came out, July of 2016, I think and have had no problems what so ever. I had to revert my old Dell desk top back to Windows XP. It was easy to go back from W10 to XP, no need to get someone else to do it. Just a few clicks and you are there.

But...yesterday, an update to W10 new version 1703 came out but failed to install. Google says some people are having problems with that so I will wait for awhile before I try again. It is a large update as it took about 7 hours to download.

Edited by jpbago
more info (or slow thinking)

jpbago
Posted
Posted

There was some features that I did not like with W10 so I changed it, one being the photo app. I like Windows Essentials better, maybe just because I am used to it. Another was Edge.

Castaway
Posted
Posted

Windows 10 was horrible for me!

It was a memory hog, so I reinstalled Windows 7 on my PC, since it runs much faster and smoother again.

If you do buy a new PC/laptop with Windows 10, consider buying a memory upgrade.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

No problems at all since I upgraded soon after it was released.  My only concern were the privacy setting which defaulted to some very concerning presets but this was easily adjusted.  After a couple of days getting used to the UI I actually prefer 10 to previous incarnations.  I've had no issues with memory leaking or usage and it's on a par with previous versions.  I did have one instance of something I hadn't seen since XP - the blue screen of death!  But that was my own fault for accidentally flipping the power whilst I was mucking around in the F1 bios settings.  Having said all that I'm a gamer so I have a reasonably high end system where I don't notice things that may be noticeable in a lower spec'd device due to the ability of my machine to compensate due to ridiculous amounts of RAM, video RAM, faster processor etc.  

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

If it's a desktop I added another hard drive and installed windows 10 on it and had no problems I could always unplug the W10 drive and plug the W7 drive back in. I keep the unused drive unplugged for shelf life. Most of the people I have heard of having a serious problem were ones who upgraded to windows 10, fresh installs of W10 have had some teething problems from updates but usually not major. I have heard that some Asus computers didn't take well to being upgraded. 

I doubt you will have a problem with W10 if it is the only system that was ever on the computer. Your friend probably could have formatted the drive and installed W10 and not had a problem. I don't find W10 as intuitive and use the search bar after opening up the start menu to find things I already know where to find with W7.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, robert k said:

I doubt you will have a problem with W10 if it is the only system that was ever on the computer.

Unfortunately, I did.  I reported on it a year ago here.  The store in Canada (Visions Electronics) promised me they would do something about it but they never did.  I prodded and pushed and threatened for 6 months and then gave up.  They could not give a shit once they have the consumers money.  What it means is I can never "Activate Windows" and thus cannot adjust settings that require Windows 10 to be activated.  Microsoft and Aspire companies all gave me the run-around and pushed me back onto Visions who just dropped the ball.

I'm still using the laptop with Windows 10.  I just have a stupid little "Activate Windows" sign in the bottom right corner at all times.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Unfortunately, I did.  I reported on it a year ago here.  The store in Canada (Visions Electronics) promised me they would do something about it but they never did.  I prodded and pushed and threatened for 6 months and then gave up.  They could not give a shit once they have the consumers money.  What it means is I can never "Activate Windows" and thus cannot adjust settings that require Windows 10 to be activated.  Microsoft and Aspire companies all gave me the run-around and pushed me back onto Visions who just dropped the ball.

I'm still using the laptop with Windows 10.  I just have a stupid little "Activate Windows" sign in the bottom right corner at all times.

That would do my head in.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I'm still using the laptop with Windows 10.

I think that we have the same laptop: Acer Aspire E15, 8GB DDR3  L Memory ,1000 GB HDD. Model E5-571-53 HX. Intel Core i 5.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Castaway said:

Windows 10 was horrible for me!

It was a memory hog, so I reinstalled Windows 7 on my PC, since it runs much faster and smoother again.

If you do buy a new PC/laptop with Windows 10, consider buying a memory upgrade.

I will try and remember.