Best place to retire at 35 for ex forces vet in the Philippines and how much do I need a month to live? Tia 😀

Soldier of opportunity
Posted
Posted

Looking for info please and advice 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I can see you looked through the forum for answers but since it's a original question not much will show up in search. 

robert k
Posted
Posted

Welcome Shaun. It is going to depend on you, your needs and lifestyle will determine how much it costs to live where. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Are you sure you will want to retire at 35 anywhere, not just the Philippines?

Presumably you will have some form of pension. Without knowing your personal circumstances of course, but any pension you can take at 35 is not going to give you much of an income unless you have massively funded it in advance. There may also be tax implications as most bona fidae pension schemes have restrictions on when they can be drawn.

You should also think carefully about how you want to spend your retirement. The current life expectancy is probably around 85 so how are you wishing to spend around 50 years in retirement?

Just thought I would throw that in for starters.

I am sure others will be along shortly to answer your specific points.

Welcome to forum.

Ken

• Like 5

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Welcome to this forum Shaun, plenty of info here and as JGF suggests perhaps keep changing your words in your search parameters. Here's one that might help or I might be off track, hope it and other threads help.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Best place to retire at 35 for ex forces vet in the Philippines and how much do I need a month to live?

The only people I know who retired in that situation, at that age, are on a disability pension of about 100K pesos a month or more and live in Cebu.  The reason is that facilities like taxis are available there whereas smaller towns like Dumaguete have no taxis.

Your situation will be different than others.

• Like 4

popeye72 
Posted
Posted

If you have an income of more or near to $1500US pm you could be quite comfortable in Cebu. I'm 45 and considering same. I've been there for some extended trips 2-3months. Considering a move now. I have met a few Vets on that money and they are reasonably comfortable. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Shaun, use the search function and you will find at least a hundred threads to budgets and "how much?". As you can guess the budget questions from new members is very common and as a group we don't mind providing answers to explicit budget questions. Without devulging too much personal information could you give us an idea what your needs are? Do you want to live on a beach out in the boonies or downtown in a major city? What are your basic needs, what can't you live without? 

A budget that will make me happy may be much less or more than one that would work for you there is no real general answer. Having said that I think many of us would agree with Topcat72m $1,500.00 USD budget could work. IMO it's a very small budget many members here have less and are very happy.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

There's people here that live happily on $1000USD a month, it's enough for their needs and then some.  There's people here that live on more and less and they're just as happy.  It's a very open question and depends on what you want/require.  As an Aussie Vet of 20 years that's not there yet due to commitments here in Aust, I have a pension of about 40% of my gross plus non-preserved benefit as a CPO (WO2 in commonwealth army parlance) and will live comfortably when I finally arrive there so your question is very open and dependent on so many things.  Given your age, I'm guessing you're on a disability military pension as well as a government social security supplement. If you give us a ball park figure we'd be better able to give you advice. 

• Like 1