Renting v Owning

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, robert k said:

Obviously a one of a kind item? How much extra for the rat chewing? Are fleas/lice included or is there an extra charge?:89: Can I purchase it with gift wrap and delivery for a non-friend?:thumbsup:

Robert I know you know that anything is possible here.Who do you have in mind :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, sonjack2847 said:

Robert I know you know that anything is possible here.Who do you have in mind :whistling:

Someone who was supposed to be helping me find a jeep to buy. They tried to collude against me and get the price up as well as get the finders fee from me and a commission from the seller. I gave them the finders fee for their efforts even though the one I bought was one I had spotted myself. They did not get a commission from the seller and kept moaning to me about it. I told them I wouldn't have paid them except I won't have someone say I didn't keep my side of a bargain and the amount was small. I was just thinking I never thanked them properly.:thumbsup:

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 9/6/2017 at 8:46 AM, hk blues said:

With the state of some of the stuff I've seen here, it might be a blessing that they disappear before moving in! 

You have a valid point there, but there is a principle involved and I will not sit back and let them get away with stiffing me, if I can at all stop it.  It worked on this occasion.

Settlement will now be next Tuesday and I will be watching the place closely during that period.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

At least he's honest!

We are replacing our dining chairs (only 2 years old but the faux leather -obviously very, very faux! is peeling off.) My wife is insisting we despatch them to her family. We don't drive so will need to use a taxi or something...so I'm going to pay to move items I'd be dumping under the cover of darkness back in the UK to avoid the shame! 

No doubt we'll be covering the cost of recovering them too - the whole thing will cost more than simply buying new but that's a discussion not worth having!

When she is not looking, take them out the front and leave them. They will be gone by the time you get back to your front door.

Then plead ignorance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, mogo51 said:

When she is not looking...

There lies the flaw in your plan!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, mogo51 said:

You have a valid point there, but there is a principle involved and I will not sit back and let them get away with stiffing me, if I can at all stop it.  It worked on this occasion.

Settlement will now be next Tuesday and I will be watching the place closely during that period.

I agree with you. Wether you want the stuff or not, and regardless of its value, it's poor form to take it away after the deal's done.

Kinda typifies the mentality of many people - not just here - dumb and low-life in equal measure. Like you wouldn't notice the missing a/c!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I agree with you. Wether you want the stuff or not, and regardless of its value, it's poor form to take it away after the deal's done.

Kinda typifies the mentality of many people - not just here - dumb and low-life in equal measure. Like you wouldn't notice the missing a/c!

In Germany and some other European countries, it is expected that everything will be taken:  Appliances, wall cabinets, lighting, even flooring!  It is the exception to the rule to leave things and I suppose it is written into the contract.  I couldn't read mine and I relied on my agent!

I remember shopping for an apartment and those that said "with kitchen" would be leaving the kitchen cabinets but not necessarily the appliances.   Not many people own their homes in Germany but they own their IKEA style cabinets and move them from rental to rental.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

In Germany and some other European countries, it is expected that everything will be taken:  Appliances, wall cabinets, lighting, even flooring!  It is the exception to the rule to leave things and I suppose it is written into the contract.  I couldn't read mine and I relied on my agent!

I remember shopping for an apartment and those that said "with kitchen" would be leaving the kitchen cabinets but not necessarily the appliances.   Not many people own their homes in Germany but they own their IKEA style cabinets and move them from rental to rental.

Yes, I'd heard of this.

I suppose the important point is that everyone follows the norm - then no nasty surprises on handover day.

From my memory, in the UK it's the case that if it's 'fixed' then it is left unless otherwise stated in the contract.  So, kitchen cabinets would stay but not the appliances if free standing. If built-in, then they stay.

I suppose that if that logic was applied here, everything would go because nothing here is properly fixed!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

In Germany and some other European countries, it is expected that everything will be taken

Things have changed over the years then.  We rented a couple of real nice places in Germany back in the 70s and all the normal cupboards and appliances were included.  I wonder if it has changed to be that way or if it is regional (as in it depends what part of the town or the country you are renting in)?

But back to renting vs owning in Philippines.  I lived through Typhoon Yolanda in a rental house.  I saw the damage to a hotel I stayed at in Cebu due to an earthquake in Oct 2013.  I constantly see news reports in Philippines of floods and volcanoes.  When I get caught up in the middle of a natural disaster like that I am happy to be renting and just walk away from it.

However, since I bought a place that is cheap enough, I could walk away from this one too.  Could I get insurance?  Probably.  But when I add maintenance and insurance and homeowners fees and property taxes to the cost of buying a house I am pretty sure renting is cheaper unless I stay in my own home for enough years to make a difference and unless the value of my property goes up (which may or may not happen in my lifetime in this country).  Almost forgot.  If i want to move I have legal costs and capital gains taxes to pay so I am losing money right out of the gate if I don't stay in my own home for a certain number of years. That number changes with time but I figured on 3 years when I bought this house.  By that I mean buying it, maintaining it, selling it and moving on will get my money back in about 3 years when I take into account what I would have paid in rent.  I am at that point now.

• Like 2