Renting v Owning

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I have never really enjoyed renting because Asia especially, landlords have strange views on what is theirs????

:hystery: They sure do, My Landlady claims everything is hers even though over 90 % I paid for. My Landlady is of Course My Wife :whistling:

But don't we just Love Em :smile:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:hystery: They sure do, My Landlady claims everything is hers even though over 90 % I paid for. My Landlady is of Course My Wife :whistling:

Only 90% , you lucky bugger :smile:

• Haha 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Only 90% , you lucky bugger :smile:

:smile: Anything I say other than this would be the start of an Argument :hystery: 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I think the simplest way to look at it is to ask yourself if you could have afforded go retire here if you never initially owned property in your home country. 

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I think the simplest way to look at it is to ask yourself if you could have afforded go retire here if you never initially owned property in your home country. 

Well Snowy, My husband, son and I always rented for years in the small city of Providence, Rhode Island. We liked renting and had the same landlord for a long time.  Saving and planning, luck and good timing,  fortunately led us to building our own home now here in Cebu on land that we purchased. It's a new experience for us but one that we're really happy with here.:smile:

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 5

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Having been relieved of my home when I was paralyzed and during recovery and not buying another makes it really simple to move to the Philippines. Several times I have heard budding expats saying/praying the house needs/will sell and it sometimes takes several months or years. Then too there was one fellow who planned to have a house both countries and he figured he needed 15K USD a month and was worried about running out of money. He said he refused to sell but I think it was more like he was afraid to take a beating on the sale. A big ticket item can own you as much as you own it.:89:

• Like 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

People purchasing a house/condo will still have some monthly costs for maintenance, insurances and other stuff. This have to be considered also in a comparison rental vs. owning.

I'm currently still running on square one. Mostly because we are still not sure, where to move. Choosing the right place is so difficult. And the time to move is still far away. Probably we will purchase or rent something in advance.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Buying my home here in England will give us the cash to either buy our home or rent in another part of the world,

mogo51
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well of course that is an exception Jack, I will be in the same position.  That I can cope with, but the general attitude towards tenants and lack of co operation is poor here, but similar to Thailand.  Except if you manage to get a 'farang' as landlord but they are cracking down on that there.  

Making it very difficult for 'farangs' when they report 90 days on visa, want to see the landlord??? If they are western, told to go away and 'find a Thai landlord'????  Always good to know you are wanted in Thailand - NOT.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Of course there is no 'one fits all' in this decision, but I see our decision as a positive move towards having a property that suits us and gives peace and a settling feel to  life.  For that there is no argument for me.  Of course there are costs involved, but not a great deal.  Annual t'ax' or rates as we call them back in Oz is 3000 pesos and included rubbish removal.  No brainer.

Maintenance much the same, as the landlord is most unlikely to fix anything from what I have seen,.