Hurricane Irma Looks VERY Bad

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Stay safe Reboot and MikeB, and Gator. We'll be thinking of all of you and all FL folks from the forum and locals from that area too. Hope that you all fare okay after all. OMW and your property too. 

I'm following closely.  The band of wind that says >58 mph is just reaching my house.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, MikeB said:

A friend in NJ offered me the use of his house more or less in the middle of Florida so I found gas and packed up family and pets and drove 70 miles east. Damn nice of him. I don't know if it will be better but sitting around listening to all the doomsday stuff was driving me crazy. Cat was crying and screaming all night, never done that before. I think she can sense something's not right outside. If it's really bad and debris is falling get into a bathtub and pull a mattress over you. I read people survived Andrew by doing that. 

Glad you found somewhere safer to go as now looks like we're going take a direct or near direct hit from hurricane wall. 

Agree - animals can sense something's amiss. 

Eerily quiet here right now. Overcast, but absolutely no wind and what's even odder is that there's barely a sound - no birds chirping or chatter from the squirrels. 

Gator
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Stay safe Reboot and MikeB, and Gator. We'll be thinking of all of you and all FL folks from the forum and locals from that area too. Hope that you all fare okay after all. OMW and your property too. 

Thanks Queenie!

Will try to update to let you know how I fare - obviously depends on how long I have cell service/internet.

As a public service all the internet service providers / cell companies here are opening up their wifi hotspots for free usage. So even if one is down might get lucky and be able to use another. Wait n see. 

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

Some "before" pics taken out my front door:

IMG_4021.JPG

IMG_4022.JPG

Reboot
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

Some "before" pics taken out my front door:

IMG_4021.JPG

IMG_4022.JPG

Nice place G

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Looking like the eye is fixing to smack Naples/Marco straight on! 

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)

Photo from TV earlier when Irma made second landfall 

IMG_4029.JPG

The eyewall has degraded and Irma's been downgraded to a Cat 2 storm. Dangerous conditions still exist and the damage will still be severe, but not as bad as predicted. Wind gusts reaching 130+ mph were recorded in Miami - 100 miles away from Naples. Monster storm!

Currently it's about 170 miles south of me, wind and rain just starting to pick up. Hopefully it'll stay inland and continue to degrade. Last update showed 40+ mph constant winds for my area with 75+ mph gusts. Earlier it was 50+ with 100+ gusts. 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

Almost 3 am here and worst of it passing now. Still hanging in there, not as bad as forecasted, but have had a few "wtf was that noise" moments as debris hit the house. Once was a large garbage can, so you can imagine the racket. Thankfully still have power and water here too.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Gator said:

Almost 3 am here and worst of it passing now.

As you may have noticed from the opening post, the news media were touting this as the "Strongest ever Atlantic storm"

How would you rate their predictions now that the worst has passed you?

Gator
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

As you may have noticed from the opening post, the news media were touting this as the "Strongest ever Atlantic storm"

How would you rate their predictions now that the worst has passed you?

It was the strongest recorded storm in the Atlantic. Based on the info at the time I think they were fairly accurate, but a bit dramatic. What they could not accurately predict was when it would turn towards Florida and I think they were looking at the worst case scenarios. Given the epic storm that just hit Texas I think they were being cautious. What really helped was that it lingered a bit off Cuba which weakened it a bit before it turned. 

But make no mistake, it was still a devastating storm that caused wide spread damage - I'm sure once the sun comes up we'll have a much better idea of just how bad it was and at the same time just how lucky we were too.

Thankfully many ppl heeded the warnings and evacuated from the worst hit areas, otherwise I'm positive many lives would have been lost. And I fully believe many only listened and evacuated as they were afraid of another Harvey type storm and the subsequent flooding. 

• Like 3