An exotic flower makes a natural curtain!

Castaway
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Back in the day it was said that ingesting the flowers produced a peyote like hallucinating state. Mexican shamans used the plant in many rituals too. It was considered quite a potent but rather dangerous aphrodisiac too. 

They're such beautiful flowers!!!... plus they can also do so many useful things!!! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Castaway said:

They're such beautiful flowers!!!... plus they can also do so many useful things!!! :thumbsup:

I agree Castaway.  They're vigorous ropelike vines too, and have been easy to grow. At first When the vines started climbing on the grills, I thought that I'd be grateful just for the vines and leaves, but now that blooms are showing up I'm really happy!  Don't think I didn't consider for a second, nibbling a little edge from one of those cups! :mocking:

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

You have excelled again Queenie, fantastic flowers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Queenie, what a fantastic bloom!  I think we need to look for that vine!

I thought you might enjoy this one.  I have never seen a bloom that is round like this.  My niece is in Alaska and took this pic a few days ago at the Univ. of Alaska botanical garden.  It is some sort of Dahlia.

21150129_10155785856667376_6409005301738118491_n.jpg

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Thanks OMW. :smile: This cup of gold vine would do well in your garden I'll bet. 

What a color on this cool flower! I guessed it right and googled it to be sure--it's a variety called Pom pom dahlia.  That would be fun to have--not sure if it could adapt here.:smile:

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

You have excelled again Queenie, fantastic flowers.

Thanks Mogo.   Maybe this vine and a few orchids would be good at your new place. :smile:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

The frequent rain has turned my gardens into a green jungle! Here are some more shots this morning of the vine, as it takes over on it's own. It has climbed trees too!20171009_073428.jpg20171009_073338.jpg20171008_163319.jpg

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Beautiful Queenie but alas my Puppy would demolish this wonderful scene

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 9/8/2017 at 9:02 PM, Queenie O. said:

Thanks OMW. :smile: This cup of gold vine would do well in your garden I'll bet. 

What a color on this cool flower! I guessed it right and googled it to be sure--it's a variety called Pom pom dahlia.  That would be fun to have--not sure if it could adapt here.:smile:

My father used to grow them many years ago in the UK and they were always filled up with earwigs.Maybe we could find some similar flower here.