Computer viruses cyber viruses the bloody lot.

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I've been off page for a few days due to a cyber virus, (No smart comments about being off page, still fuming). I'd payed a company to keep the computer safe from all viruses and found out they didn't cover cyber virus. I have now had a tec to install the proper virus protection for the computer and clean all the viruses out. An old saying comes to mind: The sweetness of cheapness never over comes the the price of low quality. Not that the first setup was cheap, about $50 cheaper than what is on it now, but it is a world renown name and has been on the market for yonks. I'm sure i'm not the only literate computer novice on the site, how do you's cope with viruses and such, scammers are easy, you can fix them in two words,  --------------- -------------. 

Castaway
Posted
Posted

I won't recommend any of the virus protection companies but I'm relatively pleased with an International company that I paid 750 pesos to for a one year subscription. So far, the virus protection has stopped more attacks than I care to think about.  I guess that today's Internet requires as much (or maybe even more) protection as having sex with a stranger.

• Haha 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I use Avast, never had a problem. 

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I use the paid version of Malwarebytes but the weakest link in the cyber security chain is always the end user. No matter what product you use, you are vulnerable if you don’t follow safe security practices.

• Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Avast proved to be insufficient by itself, in my case. Avast combined with Malwarebytes has been doing a proper job.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Avast proved to be insufficient by itself, in my case. Avast combined with Malwarebytes has been doing a proper job.

Different experiences but you will see also different paid versions of avast so if you get something that does not do the job you got the wrong one in my opinion. Some are for only protecting Email from memory. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Clermont said:

I'd payed a company to keep the computer safe from all viruses and found out they didn't cover cyber virus.

This confuses me as Cyber means internet so what company that provides anti virus does not protect you from these so called cyber attacks. ?  Makes no sense. :89:

Clermont
Posted
Posted

That's what I thought, cyber means Internet, apparently there is network viruses, cyber viruses, email viruses, and the list goes on. But the one they can't protect you from is your self, as told to me by the tec. The scammers get your personal details, then ring you and tell you you have a virus, very convincing to a novice. To all, make sure your security is with a reputable company and don't worry about the $, grumble about the price over a beer later.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Clermont said:

That's what I thought, cyber means Internet, apparently there is network viruses, cyber viruses, email viruses, and the list goes on. But the one they can't protect you from is your self, as told to me by the tec. The scammers get your personal details, then ring you and tell you you have a virus, very convincing to a novice. To all, make sure your security is with a reputable company and don't worry about the $, grumble about the price over a beer later.

OK I get it now. i used to get phone calls in Australia saying your computer is doing this that and they need access to fix it. I would play along until I was bored and then let them have it.  Yes dont believe anything on the net or by phone unless you can be sure. 

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

In 2003 while in the UK the little woman was working in the NHS Southampton General Hospital

And their computer network got hacked problem was in was in the records dept 5 miles away but as

All the hospitals were connected it was chaos, it was never publicised.

I knew one of the tech guys there and he told me if you want to keep your files and data safe

He advised me to download everything onto a seperate hard drive, which i do to this day.

And do not keep a backup folder on your main pc only on your backup hard drive

The only thing on my PC is windows 10 and the programs i use daily.

Everything i download i check with my virus software and i always use the vpn on the browser

And to change your passwords monthly espec if you use Hotmail or Gmail