Computer viruses cyber viruses the bloody lot.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Different experiences but you will see also different paid versions of avast so if you get something that does not do the job you got the wrong one in my opinion. Some are for only protecting Email from memory. 

For a run-of-the-mill user Avast would be adequate. But for an international man of mystery such as myself, not so much.

• 9 months later...
Capa
Posted
Posted
On 9/19/2017 at 11:33 AM, Clermont said:

I've been off page for a few days due to a cyber virus, (No smart comments about being off page, still fuming). I'd payed a company to keep the computer safe from all viruses and found out they didn't cover cyber virus. I have now had a tec to install the proper virus protection for the computer and clean all the viruses out.

Use any version of Linux. My personal choice is Mint 18.3. No need for any anti virus! I will leave it to you to research the reasons why!

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Spent half a day trying to get rid of the Chrominio Virus. Uninstalled all of my free Antivirus software like Spybot, Adaware etc and it finally went away.  I used Norton for years and it really didn't work so now I use whatever is available free. If I get a bad virus I can get it fixed at my local computer shop for the price of a years subscription to one of the paid sites. 

http://www.2-remove-virus.com/de/chrominio-message-center-virus-entfernen/

Capa
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Happyhorn52 said:

Spent half a day trying to get rid of the Chrominio Virus. If I get a bad virus I can get it fixed at my local computer shop for the price of a years subscription to one of the paid sites. 

With Linux, not only do you never pay for any antivirus or make payments to local computer shops, you don't even pay for Linux!

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

You never know if you Antivirus software works or not until you get a Virus then all you know is that you have been paying all those years for basically nothing. 

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I've got mcafee on my pad and so far it's worked , I get warnings if I stumble on to dodgy web sites , i never open an email with an attachment unless it is from a known source and even then after ive checked where it came from 

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

Most sites nowadays offer 2 step verification.  Gmail, Amazon, Netflix etc.

Definitely use it if your able.

If you don't know..2 step verification is when you log into the site, change your password, order something etc.,  The site will send a verification code to your cell phone (or other device or email) that you've set up, to ensure that it's actually you.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Balisidar said:

Most sites nowadays offer 2 step verification.  Gmail, Amazon, Netflix etc.

Definitely use it if your able.

If you don't know..2 step verification is when you log into the site, change your password, order something etc.,  The site will send a verification code to your cell phone (or other device or email) that you've set up, to ensure that it's actually you.

Although you are correct but that has nothing to do with virus other than to prevent someone logging in to your accounts. :thumbsup:

• Like 1