Nationwide Internet Problems

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

3mb is not enough for videos and a  million images loading plus crap going on behind the scenes you dont know your computer is doing like auto updates and 20 tabs open at once.  Also how old is your computer and what are the specs as if you have a morris minor you can not expect a lamborghini speed. 

People should look at their computer set up first. Anti virus systems and many things to see where the issue is. 

Tend to agree that with 3mb you are going to get lags.

My computer is new, fairly quick and I have 50 mbps FIBR.  I do tend to have a lot of tabs open but I don't think it impacts my current issue with FB.  You Tube and everything else is fine but FB started loading slowly a few weeks back.  The kids watch You Tube on the TV a lot while I am on the computer, but my bandwidth handles it.

I'll try testing Hong Kong and other servers.  Maybe FB does go through Hong Kong and is impacted.

Oops!  Why are we discussing this in the Baguio thread?  Sorry.

Edited by OnMyWay

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Oops!  Why are we discussing this in the Baguio thread?  Sorry.

Agreed and moved.  As to why . .

22 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Sorry, off topic.

:whistling: :hystery:

No criticism intended.  We all followed suit and the off topic posts are moved now so its all good.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 9/22/2017 at 4:12 PM, sonjack2847 said:

I have heard this from several people this site is the one that goes slow for me if the internet is slow.Since they repaired my line it has been fine. 

Kev lets hope that repair lasts..........now if history is any guide...........

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I do tend to have a lot of tabs open but I don't think it impacts my current issue with FB

If you google Facebook outages you will see that many countries have faced issues recently with Facebook offline or partly. Here yesterday for the first time for me Facebook went offline.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, RBM said:

Kev lets hope that repair lasts..........now if history is any guide...........

Yes I hear you Bruce.I do think there is an underlying problem somewhere but I doubt it will ever be revealed to us.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

If you google Facebook outages you will see that many countries have faced issues recently with Facebook offline or partly. Here yesterday for the first time for me Facebook went offline.

I know my friends in the UK and Holland are having problems with FB.Yahoo sometimes takes a while to load and I lose my connection quite a few times a day.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Early today after my last post I tested using a Hong Kong server,  Website Solution Limited, and it was terrible, less than 1 MBPS.  However, a Los Angeles server was ok about 20 mbps.  My normal default in Tarlac, PH, was ~50 mbps.  I had to go out so I did not test further.

However, I did notice at that time my FB seemed to be back to normal.  I'm not getting delays and everything loads in the blink of an eye.  As of now, still good.

Just now I tested again. 

Hong Kong server Website Solution LTD,  ping 85 ms, 5.55 mbps download, 2.85 mbps upload.

Hong Kong server QTS Data Centers, ping 23 ms, 48.97 mbps download, 25.55 upload.

I tested on all the Hong Kong servers and did these two a few times.  Website Solution is always the slowest.  QTS is always fast.

Puzzling results and makes me wonder how reliable Speedtest.net is.  Why would these servers be so different? 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I thought the idea of the internet was that if there wss a problem it would automatically route around it.

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Aah PLDT and their internet ,2 weeks ago we lost the internet on thursday, eventually got thtough to their service centre, who said an engineer would be with us in 2 days !  He arrived sat morning .

Said there was a nationwide internet problem, funny PLDT send a thankyou txt when we have paid the bill but wont txt us when they have problems

After about 30 mins checking the outside lines and phoning whoever he said we needed a new Wifi Router ! Which would cost us 1300 on the next months bill. He never had one on his van, and said he Would be back sunday  with a new router, a different engineer arrived on sunday, new router in hand,

When he saw the router we had he said it was better than the new one he bought with him.

He phoned someone tested the speed etc, reset the router to the Factory reset, put in the router password on the back of the router and our speed went from 0.25= 0.50 to 2 .70= 3.20.

He said if it happens again reset the router and use the router password.

Yesterday again no internet ! Did the reset nothing eventually at 7.45pm we had internet

Reset the router this morning and good all day.  PLDT sadly is our only option as the cable tv

Internet is very bad. We have had Globe before but same as PLDT.

Just done a speed test and its 2.75 .

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I have had the same problems on fiber optic here in Nth Luzon.  It was .2 download and .4 upload, totally hopeless.  I had Lueco who are the suppliers twice but it was still useless.  The main guy told me he was going to speak to Senior Tech and try to sort the problem.

They agreed that there were breaks in the undersea cable and were being fixed by overseas contractors.

That night I got a txt from Senior Tech and asked that I switch locations from Baguio to Angeles.  He also told me to switch off VPN (which I have so I can watch Aussie shows).  I did this and bingo - my speeds are now 20mps plus both down and up loads, virtually no buffering.  I have a Minix apps box and if I go through that, I can watch ABC and commercial channels from Aussie, clear as crystal and virtually no buffering.

Sport all good also.  So it appears that the major problem was my VPN, anyone using one and having trouble, might like to try turning it off and seeing if it makes a difference.  Hope this is helpful.

• Like 3