Charity, When Is Giving Actually Hurting

abaca1
Posted
Posted
Very interesting to read so that I would know what I would be getting in to. Seems some of you have had major problems with family and beggars while others seem to be too strict and do not give even in an emergency, surely there has to be a happy medium. I will keep watching this section to see what others post. My thought would be to make someone work for anything that I would give them. If a beggar or family member wanted cash and I did not have any work for them to do then I would ask a store owner for a broom and have the beggar sweep up in front of the mans store or clean his windows and then I would give him some cash for doing the work and if I get a car, I would have them wash and wax that to get money. I will have to see if that would actually work once I am there.
Yes, teach good work ethics when u can! This give them work instead also helps weed out the lazy "stand by" people as they are referred to in Philippines. Also I like the idea of the "teach a man to fish". Extend that a little farther and help people think for themselves in creative business ideas can open doors! I have a lot of self help type books in my digital library for this reason. I will suggest a few but for other ideas you can email me. Try..."square foot gardening","edible landscaping","Solar Cookery","create an oasis out of grey water","pedal power", and the list goes on! Maybe we will meet up and have meeting of the laptops? With the internet cafes and international businesses, new opportunities are being created for the resourceful. Also be alert to peoples' interest and you may see a low cost way to get someone started in their own business with a very little help. One thing that help those sleeper minds is to dream build with them on their level...in other words paint a dream that they can realisticly see themselves doing, but add color and details to it to generate their excitement so they will have energy to put into action. Sometimes with family, in order to get them off your income, one can look for a way to set up a small business and then turn over to them as their business after teaching them how to run the business. Like using misquito net to make a wind sock over a fan to catch loads of misquitoes while staying cool. Then sell them for a reasonable markup. I have been thinking that by buying a motorcycle and adding essentials like a top that we would use it while visiting and family could start making money with it while we are away. By investing in a income source for them, they will not have so many excuses to ask for money as well as keeping them busy will help change their spending habits too. Ever notice that when we have idle time we have more time to shop and find more things we want to buy that we may not even need. When we are busy, we have less time too shop, and are forced to be more efficient at shopping.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Main thing is helping those who want to be helped not talking charity but business.. If people want to sit around all day thats fine but they wont see any of my help coming. The priority for me is the family members who can build on ideas not burden others. It seems to work in nearly all cases and the thing that can stop disputes is the fact the opportunity is there for ALL if they will WORK at it. So those expecting a free hand out cant grumble because there isnt one. The relatives that do well out of it have earned it and hopefully respect at the same time. There was a funny story when I first got married to do with my father inlaw. He bought a motorcycle and his friends said ahh your daughter has a rich foreign husband he must have bought you a new motorbike. Even though its his and it will take a few years for him to pay for it (because he got a loan at RP rates) they think it was a free hand out no matter what he says. But when we initially started our ideas we sat over a San Mig and I explained how I would invest money but everyone had to work for it that way there is no judgement of a remittance, allowance or anything else people call it. Its been earned 100% Im the investor/silent partner or whatever people want to call it. Because one thing I realised quickly was that if I remove the debt from a business the business generally thrives as the interest rates are so high on loans. My biggest problem today though is running out of family members to put into business. There are some who will in future get involved but right now I think they need to mature and get an understanding of money.I like the idea of sharing information abaca1 I have a lot of Ebooks aswell and would advise looking at instructables website as its full of ideas for all sorts. Would be nice if we can form up a group of people with ideas that tinker around with business ideas and using small projects to build on the ideas. Keeps us busy and away from San Mig..lol