Balikbayan Box Rule 2017

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)

Since the other thread on New Major Rule changes for shipping boxes seemed to have run it course, I started this new one.  I contacted several shippers on the US east coast where I shipped from before.  It seems they are following the new rules pretty close.  I'm told the rules only allow a shipper three boxes per year with a value P150,000 or about $3,000. each box.  I was also told if a person wants to ship more than the allowed three boxes it is permitted.  However, the additional boxes will be taxed and duty applied per the rules of BOC.  What I could not find an answer to is if a citizen can receive more than 3 boxes a year from different family members.  Seems the BOC is recording shipper info but not sure of receiver info.  Then you have the what if?  Different family members ship to the same person without knowing they already received their 3 boxes.  Anyway, each of the shippers provided the following links with information and forms needed.

http://customs.gov.ph/consolidated-shipment-of-duty-and-tax-free-balikbayan-boxes/

http://customs.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Balikbayan-Information-Sheet.pdf

Well, just after posting another shipper returned my call and has a different angle.  He says a person is allowed 3 shipments per year with multi boxes as long as the total for the year does not exceed P150,000.  Go figure,  Of course YMMV

Edited by intrepid
additional info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Will they be opening every box arriving I ask myself, this whole thing doesn't seem feasible, other than people openly abusing the system being caught out.

Just my thoughts :thumbsup:

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Will they be opening every box arriving I ask myself, this whole thing doesn't seem feasible, other than people openly abusing the system being caught out.

Just my thoughts :thumbsup:

No, I do not think they will be opening every box.  Only the ones suspicious.  But they will be collecting more taxes and fees if they do follow the rules.  My feelings are if you follow the rules you should have a pretty high chance of having no issues.  But it does seem they are cracking down on commercial/volume shipments and trying to intervene on the banded items.  Now if anyone thinks these rules are harsh, just try shipping the same items shipped before from the Philippines to your home country.:89:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Helpful that you started a new topic to update procedures.

My wife said our shippers asking to copy drivers license list all box contents and relationship of recipient (family members).

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Old55 said:

Helpful that you started a new topic to update procedures.

My wife said our shippers asking to copy drivers license list all box contents and relationship of recipient (family members).

That is correct and it is all in the required BOC Information Sheet linked above, to be filled out during each shipment.  Did they require your wife to fill up the Information Sheet or just give copies of IDs and contents?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My wife is preparing the box now I'll post once we have details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My concern is can an American send the boxes still?  I read some directives online saying you had to show a Filipino passport to avail the BB box.  My sister and my kids ship boxes. they are not Filipino.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

My concern is can an American send the boxes still?  I read some directives online saying you had to show a Filipino passport to avail the BB box.  My sister and my kids ship boxes. they are not Filipino.

I'd also read this and got the impression that if a non-filipino the box would be taxed. Definitely needs some clarification.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I'd also read this and got the impression that if a non-filipino the box would be taxed. Definitely needs some clarification.

That's how I understand it to be, also worth checking is Filipino status, eg; OFW or changed citizenship as that effects taxation.

Just checked the first page of Customs declaration (bottom right) you have to state your status.

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Tim, Read the third paragraph on this link.   http://customs.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Balikbayan-Information-Sheet.pdf  Clearly says anyone can ship a box.  However, only a "qualified Filipino while abroad can avail of the tax and duty free privilege".  Hope this helps.