Right to bear arms.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

one person cannot change the world alone

One person, with a gun, in Las Vegas, changed the world of these 4 kids in this pic.

These 4 kids.jpg

The mother was one of the victims in Las Vegas and someone had to tell these 4 that their mother is not coming home.  Their world just changed forever.

• Sad 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Awful. 

Edited by Reboot

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

The loss of one innocent life is awful and unacceptable. Is the real problem guns and gun owners? Let's do the math.

The US population and number of guns in the US both are about 300 million so stats for per capita or per gun will be the same. If we take 10 incidents a year, or 100 over 10 years, or round up and say each 'bad guy' had 10 guns so 1,000 guns, but each averages out to 10 people hurt per gun putting us at 10,000 injured or killed. To avoid 'you missed one' let's raise it another order of magnitude for our calculation.

100,000 'problems' in 300,000,000 is 1 out of 3,000 or 0.033%

So... back to the question, Is the real problem guns and gun owners when 99.967% never hurt anyone?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

So... back to the question, Is the real problem guns and gun owners when 99.967% never hurt anyone?

Pity we don't live in a perfect world, all this would be different if it was of our own that gets hurt or killed. If these shootings do not cease then your figures are going to change and can only be worse.

Another gun Topic so I will say no More soHomer out of Here..jpg

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My, My, now we (Foriegners) are getting Hurt in Negros Occidental :unsure:

If this is worthy of a new Topic ( but I hope not) then please move but  it. I just want to draw attention to the Gun issue not particularly where it happened although it is getting Scarey here in the PI;

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/935246/npa-rebels-ambush-swedish-foreigner-local-hurt-1nigb#ixzz4uUwIK2yl

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I just want to draw attention to the Gun issue

It is a scary article because the bad guys are said to have shot at the cops and missed and hit foreigners but did not kill anyone, the police shot back and did not kill anyone and they all ran away.  That is not nearly as bad as it could have been, thank God.

17 minutes ago, Ram1957 said:

Gun deaths happen all over the world.

Motorcycle deaths happen all over the world but that does not stop people from complaining about how many people are needlessly killed by motorcycles in Philippines.  Point is:  Motorcycles and guns both need to be in the hands of trained, licensed, responsible people and should be taken away from those who use them irresponsibly.  You can substitute cars or knives or any other item that causes multiple human deaths due to the actions of irresponsible or murderous people.

Yes I am saying you should not legally be able to carry or use or transport a gun anywhere (other than having it delivered to your own property) until you have taken and passed a test to show you are trained and responsible.

Will that stop some of these gun deaths?  Only if the police have the same power they do with the motorcyclist in the US.  That means they can stop anyone to check if they have the license and registration for any gun they are carrying and can stop and check people on suspicion they are concealing an unlicensed gun.

I am still in favor of people being able to keep unregistered firearms on their own private property without having to have any kind of license.  BUT as soon as you take that gun off your property then the owner and firearm need to be licensed and trained and it needs to be strictly enforced.

Coming down off soap box now :508:

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

BUT as soon as you take that gun off your property then the owner and firearm need to be licensed and trained and it needs to be strictly enforced.

What kind of training can you give to a firearm so it can pass a licensing test? Not really a thing firearms loading themselves and floating around committing crimes on their own. People being properly trained etc to carry a firearm is a differnt story.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am still in favor of people being able to keep unregistered firearms on their own private property without having to have any kind of license.  BUT as soon as you take that gun off your property then the owner and firearm need to be licensed and trained and it needs to be strictly enforced.

8 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

What kind of training can you give to a firearm so it can pass a licensing test? Not really a thing firearms loading themselves and floating around committing crimes on their own. People being properly trained etc to carry a firearm is a differnt story.

Now Folks, this is where Topics on Guns starts to get silly, point scoring, Sorry Steve but I tend to think most of us got what Dave was saying :wink:

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Now Folks, this is where Topics on Guns starts to get silly, point scoring, Sorry Steve but I tend to think most of us got what Dave was saying :wink:

Maybe you missed what I was saying. There are two issues licensing people and registering firearms. One is about trying to ensure those who handle firearms are safe, the other is about knowing what property I own. Obviously, I hope, I see a much better argument for one over the other and not both.

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic