Any news on new divorce act passing through courts?

Castaway
Posted
Posted

Be very sure about getting married in the Philippines.

Unlike, marriages in the US and other Western countries, marriages are virtually written in stone over here. 

Of course, there is an annulment process if you can afford the pesos and time needed to get an annulment.

But if there is ever a divorce procedure allowed over here, it will also only happen if you can afford the pesos and the time to make it happen.

However, I've read about Americans going to Guam for their divorces... but are the divorces valid only for the American in the US and not valid for the Filipina in the Philippines?  I really don't know the answer.  Just asking.

Members & Moderators;  If I am wrong about any of this, please correct me.

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Off topic but first I have ever heard of that. 

Off topic again as I do JGF but have to agree as Birthdays are always recognised and celebrated, even the mistresses children within our family, not many but acknowledged.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Castaway said:

Be very sure about getting married in the Philippines.

Unlike, marriages in the US and other Western countries, marriages are virtually written in stone over here. 

Of course, there is an annulment process if you can afford the pesos and time needed to get an annulment.

But if there is ever a divorce procedure allowed over here, it will also only happen if you can afford the pesos and the time to make it happen.

However, I've read about Americans going to Guam for their divorces... but are the divorces valid only for the American in the US and not valid for the Filipina in the Philippines?  I really don't know the answer.  Just asking.

Members & Moderators;  If I am wrong about any of this, please correct me.

I concur with your sentiments Castaway with regards to PH law but honestly is it any different to 1st word countries, the duration while different is still time consuming. The frustrations and legal costs are there, the property distribution is there, the alimony if applicable is there. Hide your assets well before being taken to the cleaners. You from my perspective are not wrong Castaway, the tardy fossilised system leaves a lot to be desired and in the next 20 to 30 years may come into line with western norms. Hope I don't get blacklisted as an undesirable for my comments.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

Castaway
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

I concur with your sentiments Castaway with regards to PH law but honestly is it any different to 1st word countries, the duration while different is still time consuming.

Steve, based on your comments, I should say:  Be very sure about getting married anywhere (not just in the Philippines).

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Castaway said:

However, I've read about Americans going to Guam for their divorces... but are the divorces valid only for the American in the US and not valid for the Filipina in the Philippines? 

They have some new'ish (2012) laws that allow the recognition of divorce for the  Filipina.  The divorce has to be initiated by the foreigner, and then the Filipina has to go through some legal filing to get it recognized.   Still not a perfect system, but an improvement. Under the old law the foreigner could get divorced and remarried... and the 1st Filipina would still be married to him, although he was not married to her. It really did not make sense.

http://jlp-law.com/blog/judicial-recognition-of-a-foreign-divorce-decree/

https://psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/problems-and-solutions/annotation-effects-divorce-declared-foreign-country

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Castaway said:

Tim got it right in the post above.  There are other places in the forum it is mentioned as well.  It is getting possible but they have a long way to go.

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Castaway said:

Steve, based on your comments, I should say:  Be very sure about getting married anywhere (not just in the Philippines).

In most western countries marriage means diddly, live with someone for 6 or 12 months in a relationship (de facto) and you could face the wrath of a judicial system that considers this scenario equal. In the Philippines? Unmarried? Where are we there? What does the law state in this our chosen country with our given relationships and current law? Love to hear answers with regards to unmarried partners and, in the unwanted demise of their relationship could the foreigner be blacklisted?

Only a thought that others could answer.

Cheers, Steve.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, bigpearl said:

In most western countries marriage means diddly, live with someone for 6 or 12 months in a relationship (de facto) and you could face the wrath of a judicial system that considers this scenario equal. In the Philippines? Unmarried? Where are we there? What does the law state in this our chosen country with our given relationships and current law? Love to hear answers with regards to unmarried partners and, in the unwanted demise of their relationship could the foreigner be blacklisted?

Only a thought that others could answer.

Cheers, Steve.

I'm gonna guess it's only a 'benefit' down under where having a girlfriend for a few months makes her a partner, entitled to half your stuff, and the added benefit of losing 1/3 your pension. Not like that in the US.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, bigpearl said:

Love to hear answers with regards to unmarried partners and, in the unwanted demise of their relationship could the foreigner be blacklisted?

We have a few on the forum but they will have to come forward themselves, not all ends well but I know a couple that have

as to Blacklisting  I would guess it depends on the Circumstances Physical, Sexual or other abuse, but if you have been reading about the Australian (Married) in Manila, he languishes in the Detention Centre over allegations of the above,

"Hell, hath no Fury" comes to mind wherever we are in certain circumstances, The thing here is, no matter married or Not, get on the wrong side of someone in Authority and you will go nowhere until they say so

JMHO

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I'm gonna guess it's only a 'benefit' down under where having a girlfriend for a few months makes her a partner, entitled to half your stuff, and the added benefit of losing 1/3 your pension. Not like that in the US.

What is the scenario in the States AlwaysRT? Other Western countries?

Cheers, Steve.