Any news on new divorce act passing through courts?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Some States have 'common law marriage' after living together for several years (I think Georgia is or was 8 years) but you have to apply, it is not automatic. Also common law marriage might have been rescinded by now. You pretty much have to get legally married in the US to be treated as 'a couple'. You generally end up paying more in income taxes but you don't lose benefits in any scenario I can think of.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

Other Western countries?

In Canada, it is 2 years for same rights and responsibilities as married.  But there are exceptions.  If you are living with a girl more than 3 nights a week for 6 months and she is on welfare then they kick her off and claim she is living with you and thus your problem now. (At least that is how it used to be and I doubt they would change that.)  So there is little incentive for a female with kids to have a guy move in..

Still, it makes divorce easier.  You just move out and both sign a notarized paper that you're all done.  And then she still gets half your stuff etc.

• Like 2

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Some States have 'common law marriage' after living together for several years (I think Georgia is or was 8 years) but you have to apply, it is not automatic. Also common law marriage might have been rescinded by now. You pretty much have to get legally married in the US to be treated as 'a couple'. You generally end up paying more in income taxes but you don't lose benefits in any scenario I can think of.

Thanks Rt but not conclusive as no legal situation is, in Oz it is 2 years with no children. With kids its goes to the family court and children are looked after as they should be, been there done that and always paid my dues and then some, unlike many in Oz or the States probably. 8 years seems barbaric to recognise a committed relationship as we don't give this much time for an automobiles life nor an iPhone, The fridge goes on the blink at what 5? If you are lucky 10 years. I dearly hope the good old USA will offer better than what is up for grabs in Oz. Know the law for your particular country and relate this with the country/people you ultimately offer to share your life with and that's what this post is really about. Local law.

Marry and pay the penalty, live "in sin" and pay the penalty, "fool around in your own backyard" and pay the penalty. 8 or 2 years ?

8 years? you/we get less for murder/manslaughter these days. 2 years you are still paying off the car you both chose etc.

Cheers, Steve. 

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In Canada, it is 2 years for same rights and responsibilities as married.  But there are exceptions.  If you are living with a girl more than 3 nights a week for 6 months and she is on welfare then they kick her off and claim she is living with you and thus your problem now. (At least that is how it used to be and I doubt they would change that.)  So there is little incentive for a female with kids to have a guy move in..

Still, it makes divorce easier.  You just move out and both sign a notarized paper that you're all done.  And then she still gets half your stuff etc.

Agree Dave, sounds similar to the do gooders and somewhat Bias government officials in Oz. These are our laws and fight we do but at the end of the day? Filipino laws are there, made and institutionalised by what is perceived by and we have to abide as foreigners/visitors. A mine field yes but not insurmountable by any means, that's why we are here, to share and prosper.

Cheers, Steve.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

n Canada, it is 2 years for same rights and responsibilities as married.  But there are exceptions. 

Basically the same in the UK except for any kids and a few other things

marine6357
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, bigpearl said:

What is the scenario in the States AlwaysRT? Other Western countries?

Cheers, Steve.

Here is a link that details what most in US are like...

http://family.findlaw.com/marriage/common-law-marriages-faq-s-what-states-recognize-common-law.html

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Common law relationships are all set out the the Philippine family code. The only stipulation is to live exclusively with one another, there appears to be no time limit.

Castaway
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Common law relationships are all set out the the Philippine family code. The only stipulation is to live exclusively with one another, there appears to be no time limit.

https://jlp-law.com/blog/common-law-marriage-live-in-relationships-in-philippines/

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Oh yes there are other stipulations.  It may be recognized in the family code and it may be practiced quite often by filipino couple who don't have the money (or whatever reason) to get married, but ask people like your banker, your lawyer, or your barangay captain if they recognize common law marriage.

The other stipulations are simple stuff like: 

If one of the parties is validly married to another, his or her share in the co-ownership shall accrue to the absolute community or conjugal partnership existing in such valid marriage. If the party who acted in bad faith is not validly married to another, his or her shall be forfeited in the manner provided in the last paragraph of the preceding Article.

I think that is legal speak that means if you live with a lady who is married to someone else and separated from him then you are fooked!. Here is the entire Family Code if anyone wants to read it

http://www.chanrobles.com/executiveorderno209.htm#.WdwwSmiCy00

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, bigpearl said:

in Oz it is 2 years with no children

In any of these instances how does the government know what goes on behind closed doors and how can they dictate what type of relationship you have? If one or both parties do not want to be married nothing forces the other to stay. If 'big brother' (the government, I suppose 'big sister' in Australia from what I hear) decides who is and who isn't. Anyone who goes to University for 4 years with the same room mate could be married to each other? Seems like individuals should be deciding for themselves, no place for government here.

note, this has nothing to do with children. have a child and your responsibility begins day one, no waiting period. Although it does seem odd, and this may be a different topic if you want, only a woman can decide to have an abortion. A man can not force her and if she wants the baby then that's that, he is committed for 18 years. However if he wants the baby and she does not, too bad so sad. Does not sound like equality on that count. (not talking about if abortion is/should be legal or not, only the part where the woman has 100% control over a man's life)