Murder and Suicide

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are a lot of hypetheticals being offered here, but I believe it stems from greater exposure to violence from the various media.  The ease and access to deadly weapons, greater life pressures many are exposed to, lack of respect for authorities and the belief that one can do what they like.  There are many other reasons.  I am not so sure that these so called Professionals understand what they are dealing with but IMO there is an ever increasing breakdown in society's standards and not for the better.

We will never know what was operating on this perpetrator's mind  prior to and during the commission of this dreadful crime.  But you  can almost be assured it will not be the last one we see.

Edited by mogo51
spelling
  • Like 3

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

You hit on a few things that Are close to my heart ,I honestly hope that they change the law so that you can legally obtain assisted suicide . I work within the NHS and on a daily basis I see people where the quality of life is non existent, I truly  believe that you should be able to put some sort of mecanisim in place that instructs the legal system to end your life if you deteriorate into a semi vegetable, through things such as strokes, dementia ,Parkinson's etc

As for the vets ,I have a good friend ,a mountain of a man ,ex MP and ex Hereford, ex cop ,he has now gone to a hospital  to help him deal with PTSD , I empithyse with those guys

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Castaway
Posted
Posted

Youth suicide rates are rising. School and the Internet may be to blame.

A new study presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting in May found that the number of children and teens admitted to children's hospitals for thoughts of suicide or self-harm have more than doubled during the last decade. The lead author on the study, Dr. Gregory Plemmons, is an associate professor at The Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt.

Stressful environments and unfettered access to information may have boosted the number of teens and children hospitalized for suicidal thoughts or actions.

A new study found that children’s hospital admissions of patients 5 to 17 years old for such thoughts or actions more than doubled from 2008 to 2015. The study looked at 32 hospitals using data from the Pediatric Health Information System (PHIS)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/05/30/youth-suicide-rates-rising-school-and-internet-may-blame/356539001/

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Castaway said:

admissions of patients 5 to 17 years old

I was shocked to google "suicides by 5 year olds and see how many kids aged 5, 6, 7 and 8 have done it.  That is just f**ked up!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I was shocked to google "suicides by 5 year olds and see how many kids aged 5, 6, 7 and 8 have done it.  That is just f**ked up!

Does it start at Home I have to wonder, Could we parents share the blame somewhere along the Way? :89:

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

On a personal level I have manned the phones for Alcoholic Anonymous ,I have been going to AS meetings for about 25 years and enjoyed the last 23 of them sober 

I've had to deal with people who are on the ropes through booze , I've had two suicides ,one guy wrote me a note to thank me for trying to help him ,then he shot his brains out . Another one just sent his daughter to her aunt ,he then locked the doors and hung himself ,I haven't worked the phones for a few years now,it can and does get to you ,we all wish that we had some kind of magic pill that can help suffering alcoholics but we don't and 90% of medical practitioners  are clueless when it come to addiction

I also have a daughter who suffers badly from depression, it got to the stage where my ex wife and I watched her 24/7 just in case , as a parent you feel totally hopeless and powerless ,they have also found a connection between the happy pills that they give people suffering from mental illness and those who do mass shootings 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, bastonjock said:

they have also found a connection between the happy pills that they give people suffering from mental illness and those who do mass shootings

Do I understand this correctly?  You are suggesting that the drugs currently used to relive depression have the opposite effect?  Only certain drugs?  Only on certain people?  Only in certain circumstances.  Please tell us more.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

Does it start at Home I have to wonder, Could we parents share the blame somewhere along the Way? :89:

My 24 year old blames everything on her mental illness ,to her ,life has been one bad luck story 

We tried to fix it with money ,I've lost count the number of horses that we have bought her ,add to that all the hear and cost ,I've also bought her 4 cars , I did not beat her as a child or anything like that ,and she can't remember me being drunk ,so I don't think it's just a parents issue , I think that like alcoholism ,there is a genetic tendency to mental illness ,

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
Just now, Dave Hounddriver said:

Do I understand this correctly?  You are suggesting that the drugs currently used to relive depression have the opposite effect?  Only certain drugs?  Only on certain people?  Only in certain circumstances.  Please tell us more.

There was a programme on BBC 1 or 2 about 6 weeks ago ,they pointed out that the drug that they had been giving to some people for their depression was the same drug that the guy who did the cinema shootings in the states was on ,there were also further correlations between the drug and acts of violence

The drugs manufacturer was denying it all ,but there was a definite  link ,I can't remember the name of the drug

Castaway
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

There was a programme on BBC 1 or 2 about 6 weeks ago ,they pointed out that the drug that they had been giving to some people for their depression was the same drug that the guy who did the cinema shootings in the states was on ,there were also further correlations between the drug and acts of violence

I've seen the same programme on BBC. According to the report, he was given a very high dosage that was well beyond the amount recommended by the manufacturer.