Are Filipinos Racists?

Rooster
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

"Hey, Joe", the term for "American", I believe can be traced back at least to WWII and "GI Joe". It's like "grunt", "boot", "dogface", etc. 

"Hey, Joe", the song, was written in the fifties but I can't recall who wrote it.

Correct, it goes back to WW2, Vietnam......

CoffeeRulzMe
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Rooster said:

Correct, it goes back to WW2, Vietnam......

Yep, it's a left-over from WW2; GI Joe.   I hear it sometimes. I consider it a friendly hello.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Rooster said:

Hey Joe, I said where you goin' with that gun in your hand, oh
I'm goin' down to shoot my old lady
You know I caught her messin' 'round with another man

032 into the Billy Roberts version the lyrics may not be exactly as you transcribed.  It is interesting to me that he seems to say:

I'm, goin down to shoot my old man
You know I caught him messin' around with another man.

Changes the meaning some.  Then he goes on to say he shot his old lady down so maybe a "freudian slip" that the first refrain is unclear.

Rooster
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

032 into the Billy Roberts version the lyrics may not be exactly as you transcribed.  It is interesting to me that he seems to say:

I'm, goin down to shoot my old man
You know I caught him messin' around with another man.

Changes the meaning some.  Then he goes on to say he shot his old lady down so maybe a "freudian slip" that the first refrain is unclear.

I just listened to it. He says caught "her" so he did sing about wanting to shoot his old lady. :cheersty: 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 7/7/2018 at 4:59 PM, Rooster said:

Foreigners in The Philippines are denied the right to Senior Citizen Benefits, Disabled Person Recognition,  Land Ownership, etc. etc.  Isn't that discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity which is the definition of Racism?

I dont think that is racist. Land ownership is part of the constitution. Senior citizens benefits as in what?  Usually reserved for people who have worked or paid taxes in their country and not for anyone to dip into the pot.

Disabled are recognised in the sense of ramps and toilets in recent years are provided in new buildings which is the law these days im told.

• Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont think that is racist. Land ownership is part of the constitution. Senior citizens benefits as in what?  Usually reserved for people who have worked or paid taxes in their country and not for anyone to dip into the pot.

Disabled are recognised in the sense of ramps and toilets in recent years are provided in new buildings which is the law these days im told.

If it's not Prejudice or Discrimination, what is a good word, term or explanation to define it?   

Webster's Dictionary defines racism as Prejudice, (toward a group). One could interpret that to say Foreigners are that "group". https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

3.: racial prejudice or discrimination 

Concerning Landownership: 

The constitution didn't fall from the sky. Recognizing it was written by Filipinos, one has to wonder what was their mindset when they wrote the Section 7, Article XII of the 1987 Constitution regarding land ownership. Was it prejudice to not allow foreigners (a group) to own land?

Concerning Senior Citizen Benefits:

The Senior Citizen Card/Benefits offer a plethora of benefits to 60 and above. My wife's mother was a housewife her entire life and gets these benefits. 

Here is an interesting article on why Expats should receive the benefits. http://globalnation.inquirer.net/105530/alien-seniors-should-get-discounts-too

RA 9257

http://www.chanrobles.com/republicactno9257.htm#.W0KmLvZuIcA

Notice the penalty if an Expat tries to use Senior Citizen Privileges.

"Sec. 10. Penalties. – Any person who violates any provision of this Act shall suffer the following penalties:
(1) For the first violation, a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000.00) but not exceeding One hundred thousand pesos (P100,000.00) and imprisonment of not less than six (6) months but not more than two (2) years; and
(2) For any subsequent violation, a fine of not less than One hundred thousand pesos (P100,000.00) but exceeding Two hundred thousand pesos (P200,000.00) and imprisonment for not less than two (2) years but not less than six (6) years.
Any person who abuses the privileges granted herein shall be punished with a fine of not less than Five thousand pesos (P5,000.00) but not more than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000.00), and imprisonment of not less than six (6) months.
If the offender is an alien or a foreigner, he shall be deported immediately after service of sentence without further deportation proceedings.

Concerning Disabled Expats:

Several months ago, a Disabled Vet I know in Angeles City who uses a walker and I went to lunch. We pulled into the Disabled parking spot, the guard asked for his disabled card. He had none because he's a Foreigner. We were told we could not park there it was for those with a Disabled Card, so we went elsewhere. To the right of us, a car of locals drove into the other disabled spot, walked into the restaurant, none were asked to produce a disability card.

Expats (a group) is not allowed to obtain a disabled card.

Philippine Disability Law.
http://www.ncda.gov.ph/disability-laws/republic-acts/republic-act-9442/    

As I mentioned above, If it's not Prejudice or Discrimination, it would be nice if anyone could come up with a word or explanation to define it.

It the meantime, it's probably best not to try and analyze it like many other things here and to just say it's "Philippine Law" and not call it anything else.  :cheersty: 

Edited by Rooster

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yeah, I agree about the senior discount.  I just showed up 5 years ago; I was not a contributing member of this country for my whole life. Why should I get as many benefits?  A lot of countries have benefits for citizens. I see nothing racist about it. More like a good business decision. If I work at a company for 2 years should I expect the same retirement package as someone who was there for 30 years?

But we should be able to avail handicap parking. They should give some kind of ID for that.  It seems more like basic human decency. But not all the discounts, for the same reason we don't qualify for senior discounts.

I do think many Filipinos are racist, but this is not an example.

Edited by Tukaram (Tim)

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

But we should be able to avail handicap parking. They should give some kind of ID for that

I guess you could argue the any person part of the law.

V. IMPLEMENTING GUIDELINES AND PROCEDURES

Any bonafide person with permanent disability can apply for the issuance of the PWD-IDC. His/her caregiver can assist in the application process. Procedures for the issuance of the ID Cards are as follows:

http://www.ncda.gov.ph/2009/07/apply-fo-pwd-id-card/

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

Concerning: Any bonafide person with permanent disability can apply for the issuance of the PWD-IDC. His/her caregiver can assist in the application process. Procedures for the issuance of the ID Cards are as follows: 

From Republic Act 9442

The above mentioned privileges are available only to persons with disability who are Filipino citizens

(d) If the violator is an alien or a foreigner, he shall be deported immediately after service of sentence without further deportation proceedings.

Edited by Rooster

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Rooster said:

Concerning: Any bonafide person with permanent disability can apply for the issuance of the PWD-IDC. His/her caregiver can assist in the application process. Procedures for the issuance of the ID Cards are as follows: 

From Republic Act 9442

The above mentioned privileges are available only to persons with disability who are Filipino citizens

(d) If the violator is an alien or a foreigner, he shall be deported immediately after service of sentence without further deportation proceedings.

Anyway. Not our country so we do as the laws or system say. No point complaining about it. 

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic