mogo51
Posted
Posted

Welcome also Eldon to the forum.  

Eldon Cordrey
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Welcome.jpg to the forum my friend. Maybe as you come from a country that was once a colony do you feel an inferiority complex, I doubt it but:whistling: I guess Filipinos come from the Philippines as you are American because you are from the US of America, but if this is not right please feel free to educate us

Jack:huh:

Morning All:photo-109: ( Up early as it is Blood and Lab tests today )

I was born in USA but I am half Filipino.  I studied here in the Philippines in High school and College.   I was taught here about Philippine history.  The Philippines was named after a King Philip from Spain.  While the Philippines was a colony Citizenship was Limited.  It still is Today as you Expats know that non-Filipinos can not own land here.  The Term Filipino was reserved to those who were of Spanish blood. The upper class in the Philippines was called the Principalía.   Racism is part of Filipino history, Culture, and Law.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love it 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Eldon Cordrey said:

I was born in USA but I am half Filipino.  I studied here in the Philippines in High school and College.   I was taught here about Philippine history.  The Philippines was named after a King Philip from Spain.  While the Philippines was a colony Citizenship was Limited.  It still is Today as you Expats know that non-Filipinos can not own land here.  The Term Filipino was reserved to those who were of Spanish blood. The upper class in the Philippines was called the Principalía.   Racism is part of Filipino history, Culture, and Law.

Perhaps you could start your own topic on subjects as this and gives us some enlightenment,I find what you have written very interesting.It helps me understand more about the things that happen here.Good post.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
Capa
Posted
Posted
On 10/7/2017 at 8:20 AM, Castaway said:

'When I was a kid, I was told that if I ever met white people, I should be friendly towards them and greet them “hey Joe”. I learned later on that it is not cool to call a Caucasian “hey Joe.”'

I found this to be interesting since at least one Filipino (the writer of this topic) was made aware about how saying "hey Joe" to a Caucasian "is not cool."

I find it quaint and amusing when someone, usually an elder, addresses me as "hey Joe!" It is just one of the charming aspects of the PI !

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Capa said:

I find it quaint and amusing when someone, usually an elder, addresses me as "hey Joe!" It is just one of the charming aspects of the PI !

:89: Now I find that a little bit suspect as in other Topic you state head down and ignore all when Out, Grabbing your wallet hard. Amusing  :whistling:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Capa said:

usually an elder, addresses me as "hey Joe!"

As I walked in the late afternoon yesterday I passed a gaggle of children who were likely about 8 or 9 years old on average. One boy asked "Hi, what's your name?"  At exactly the same moment a young girl said "Hey Joe".  I smiled and replied, "No, my name is not Joe, it is Dave." The boy asked "what are you doing" and I said, "I am exercising".

The kids like to practice their English at that age and I indulge them.  The questions are always the same, 4th grade English questions.  "Where are you going?'  What are you doing?"  etc.  But sometimes, for a laugh, they add Hey Joe, or Give me money.

Anyway, I had given the answer and walked about 100 feet away when the girl hollered out "I love you Joe" and ran away.  Cute, but as we can see they speak some English words but do not really understand what they are saying, nor any replies at that age.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Capa said:

I find the older people tend to call me "Joe", the kids call me "kano" more often than not.  Although a lot say "hi dad" :tiphat:

Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

I read the entire post. 

Racism is more than just the color of ones skin.

Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another, which often results in discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

Foreigners in The Philippines are denied the right to Senior Citizen Benefits, Disabled Person Recognition,  Land Ownership, etc. etc.  Isn't that discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity which is the definition of Racism?

Or is it Xenophobia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobia

The comments concerning dark skinned Foreigners are correct. Look at the huge Billboards everywhere advertising Get white pills, injections, soap, lotion. etc. Many want to have white skin and have white babies.

HEY JOE

"Hey Joe" has been around for decades: WW2, Vietnam & The Philippines to greet US Military Personnel. Older Filipinos in the provinces still use the term, younger ones say hi sir.

Jimmy Hendrix performed a song wrote by Billy Roberts "Hey Joe" based on the WW2, Vietnam Era Veteran.

Hey Joe

Hey Joe, where you goin' with that gun of yours?
Hey Joe, I said where you goin' with that gun in your hand, oh
I'm goin' down to shoot my old lady
You know I caught her messin' 'round with another man
I'm goin' down to shoot my old lady
You know I caught her messin' 'round with another man
And that ain't too cool
Huh, hey Joe, I heard you shot your mamma down
You shot her down now
Hey Joe, I heard you shot your lady down
You shot her down in the ground, yeah
Yeah
Yes, I did, I shot her
You know I caught her messin' round, messin' round town
Yes I did, I shot her
You know I caught my old lady messin' 'round town
And I gave her the gun
And I shot her
Alright
Shoot her one more time again, baby
Yeah
Oh, dig it
Oh, alright
Hey Joe
Where you

Edited by Rooster

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

"Hey, Joe", the term for "American", I believe can be traced back at least to WWII and "GI Joe". It's like "grunt", "boot", "dogface", etc. 

"Hey, Joe", the song, was written in the fifties but I can't recall who wrote it.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic