Are Filipinos Racists?

jimeve
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Mick said:

Certain websites mention the term limey is derived from the 1st World War due to the shape of the soldiers helmit when you place 2 together, also they Mention the lime thrown over the dead to stop disease so it was adopted as propaganda by the German troops, As for Pomey this is an Australian term for prisoner of mother England..... We call them Bread Stealing B@s7ards....lol but all on good fun

Limeys comes from the Americans who called British sailors "Limeys" They were forced to suck or drink the lime juice to prevent scurvy. (Lack of vitamin C)    

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I don't really know if it's a vague point  - I have checked several references and all refer to poms and limeys as people from Britain.  Except those few who make the error of thinking Great Britain and England are interchangeable, of course!

As for the second point - yes, of course which is exactly the point made in my original post. 

We originated from England but don't call us Poms or Limeys, we're Ozzies. :hystery: No offense anyone with a thin skin. :thumbsup:

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I was under the impression that foreigner kids were a novelty here in schools etc in a way like popular with other kids. Obviously schools here dont have an anti bully policy.  Is there another school she can go to? 

Maybe some local kids feel that wall but not all. 
Sure, there are many schools but they don't all have high standards and then how many hours do you want to drive each way.  On top of this you cannot change schools mid year without paying the full tuition.  Without paying the full year tuition they will hold all grades and records and not release them until all your bills are paid for the year.  Of course no school will enroll you without all these records.  Still holding out hope something will be resolved if we get to meet the principal.

• Like 3

Mick
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Limeys comes from the Americans who called British sailors "Limeys" They were forced to suck or drink the lime juice to prevent scurvy. (Lack of vitamin C)    

As I said depends where you look, I worked for Siemens for 19 years got called it a lot, and a guy showed me a picture of a rifle stuck in the ground marking a grave, with 2 helmets hanging that looked like a lime in the silhouette, I was also called Inselaffe which means Island Monkey, did not take offence sticks and stones.... But when I child is going through it, different matter and needs addressing

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Clermont said:

We originated from England but don't call us Poms or Limeys, we're Ozzies. :hystery: No offense anyone with a thin skin. :thumbsup:

You mean originated from Great Britain, don't you - I don't imagine many Scots/Irish/Welsh immigrants would appreciate being called English!  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

As far as I'm aware, the term pom means an immigrant from Britain so would not be correctly applied to children born in Australia with parents of British descent

• I'm Confused 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mick said:

As for Pomey this is an Australian term for prisoner of mother England

I have heard many origins of the Pomey term, all from Australians.  The one that sticks in my mind is Pomey is Aussie for Pomegranate which is some kind of rhyming slang for immigrant.  Any Aussies heard that one before or was the fellow going "down under" to pull on my leg?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mick said:

As I said depends where you look

Wiki says: " The term is thought to have originated in the 1850s as lime-juicer, later shortened to "limey", and originally used as a derogatory word for sailors in the British"

Now if the term limey originated in the 1950's it's pretty hard to relate it to WW1

Mick
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Wiki says: " The term is thought to have originated in the 1850s as lime-juicer, later shortened to "limey", and originally used as a derogatory word for sailors in the British"

Now if the term limey originated in the 1950's it's pretty hard to relate it to WW1

Did not say that's when it originated, just the Germans used it for the 2 reasons I stated 

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mick said:

Did not say that's when it originated, just the Germans used it for the 2 reasons I stated 

sacasm emotion.jpg No let me please! The Germans,?I thought they always said Englander regardless of actual country, Purley because we all speak English BUT  I can be Educated :mellow:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

BUT  I can be Educated 

OK, let's see now :biggrin:

chinese.png

• Haha 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic