A Rant About The New Antibiotic Prescription Enforcement

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Robinsons in the grocery dept failing that I have a script.Or you could try animal foodstores as they sell them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Robinsons in the grocery dept failing that I have a script.Or you could try animal foodstores as they sell them.

Yes i had Forgotten the Agrivets stores they sell for Animal Treatment Now I seem to recall we got our 2nd batch from one

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

Robinsons in the grocery dept

I had forgotten them.  They sold to me last time but made me buy 28, which is the quantity the doc would prescribe and they only did it after a lot of bs from me.  I did not think they would do it on a continuous basis.

On a related note.  Some people think that when a prescription is required the people here will follow it, like if the doctor prescribes 28 caps then they will buy and take all 28 caps.  Not a chance.  The local people will take them until they feel better then save or sell the rest.  The legislation is useless.  This ain't first world mentality.  People were raised with witch doctors, not medical clinics.  It used to drive me nuts when I would offer to pay for my gf's sister to go to a doc and she would say "no thanks I will go to the witch doctor." And the interesting thing is it works.  Psychosomatic illness, faith healing or what?

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

My only point is I should have the right to make my own decisions and if it kills me then its all on me.

But if they allowed that for all medication then it might kill you. I dont know about other countries but you can not get antibiotics without a script in Australia so I guess there is a good reason for it.  :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont know about other countries but you can not get antibiotics without a script in Australia so I guess there is a good reason for it

Yes.  The Government thinks the people are not smart enough to figure it out for themselves.  We call that a nanny state and its what I thankfully left in Canada.

EDIT:  I do not totally disagree with you.  There are some medicines that can be abused by addicts and those have always been hard to get in Philippines and other places.

I have noticed that each country has different medicines they "they must protect us from" and its not one of my favorite government policies.  As an example: My diabetes medicine could kill me a helluva lot faster than a bit of penicillin but I can get the diabetes meds freely here, without a 'scrip.  The antacid of choice for me, (Lansoprazole),  is an over the counter med in UK and here but a 'scrip needed in US and Canada.  Logic?  Nah. Just political bs that people swallow as being "good for them".  But all this is just my own opinion and there is no reason to believe my opinion is any more or less correct that yours.  Mine is based on believing that I know my own body, (in its day to day functioning) better than a doctor I do not know who sees me one time for 20 minutes and "diagnoses" whats wrong with me.  I do concede there are some brilliant docs that can do exactly that.  I have an older American doctor friend who is close to retirement age and when he came over to visit last year he instantly diagnosed a problem that I did not know I had.  But that is rare.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, MikeB said:

I'm sorry you're not feeling well but It's hard for me to understand someone arguing against Dr supervision for antibiotics.

And that is the case for many people who want to believe that Doctors are some higher power.  I do not have that faith. My young neighbor, a few doors down is in Silliman University, studying to be a doctor.  I would not say it to his face but he is an idiot.  He is failing his tests but has no doubt he will pass as a doctor provided he pays the right amount to the right people and is close to a passing mark.  Its incredible when you dig into it.  I could explain how I texted my doctor for a 'scrip this morning and she wrote back "just a minute" and in the time it took to google the symptoms she wrote back and told me the same thing I also read on the Internet.  I doubt there are many doctors, at least in Philippines, who do not consult with Dr Google.

So I fully respect the people who believe that Doctors are a higher intellect than us normal folk and I do admit there are areas I could not hope to "outguess" the right doctor.  I just wish those people would respect my right to believe that the boundaries are arbitrary and I should have the right to self determination.

And with that I shall have to agree to disagree with some of our members, as I don't want to cause any hard feelings.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If anyone knows where I can get some Amoxicillin please drop me a PM

You should have tried the pharmacy next to Naspri when you were up here. Don't know that you would have success but it is a different world up here.

• Thanks 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Lately they started asking for prescriptions in most of the pharmacies in Iloilo... so we just go to the smaller pharmacies in town, instead of in the city.  If all else fails, one of the relatives always knows which sari sari store has some in stock. 

In the city I can sometimes play my "stupid foreigner" card and get my meds.  One of the benefits of being an exotic :tiphat:

• Thanks 1