ECC Confusion

MikeB
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Holders of valid immigrant or non-immigrant visas who intend to return to the Philippines may secure the ECC at the airport.

Are they mindreaders? How exactly does immigration at the airport determine if you intend to return to the Philippines? This one caused me some consternation; I had (have?) a 13a, when we left a year ago the wife had an immigrant visa to the US <hint - immigrant>. I had no intention of ever coming back but who the hell knows? I got so much conflicting advice I just went to the airport and, very thankfully, was on our way. Anxious moments dealing with the last BI guy. 

• Like 1

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Update to my situation after trip to Angeles BI (Marquee Mall) yesterday.  Since I do not have I-Card yet, I have to apply for an "Emergency I-Card Waiver" at Main BI office Central Processing Unit before 48 hrs of departure.  Another fee and approval required before applying for ECC-B.  My departure is on Nov 19 and return on Nov 26.

So instead of making 2 trips to Manila, my asawa and I are travelling (via provincial bus again) to Pasay, leaving at 2AM on Nov 16.  Check-in luggage at hotel, then take taxi to Main BI (Intramuros) Office and hope to get everything done same day.  I will remember to bring my cane so I can use PWD (Person With Disability) line to speed up process.  I can wear pants and collared shirt, but I have to wear teva (velco almost full foot covering sandals) on my right foot due to swelling after 6 hr bus trip (won't fit in size 11 shoe).

Another twist reading checklist for "Emergency I-Card Waiver".  They require copy of I-Card Application Stub, which I wasn't given.  I do have receipt showing I paid for I-Card, original stamped 13a application and my 13a Probationary Approval letter.  I don't think they can force me to stay in Philippines, especially if I have US Federal Judge Court Order to appear at Civil Court Hearing on Nov 20.

If BI denies my ECC, my Plan B would be to go to USEM Citizen Services and request some type of waiver or emergency repatriation based on US Federal Judge Court Order for appearance at Hearing.  Otherwise, I could face Failure to Appear or Contempt charges. 

Nothing is ever easy here!  Just have to keep smiling and hope my asawa or pera can persuade good outcome.  You'd think PI Govt Agencies would make it easier, since all they want is our pera. 

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, ITGeek said:

Since I do not have I-Card yet,

What are they saying about where your I-card is?  

When I got my 13A probationary at Intramuros, my i-card was given to me then and there.

ITGeek
Posted
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

What are they saying about where your I-card is?  

When I got my 13A probationary at Intramuros, my i-card was given to me then and there.

They only said that Main BI (Intramuros) issues I-Card.  Since I applied for 13a at Angeles BI (Marquee Mall), they and all other BI field offices send 13a applications for processing at Main BI office.  So I guess I'll find out where my I-Card is when I go to Main BI in a few weeks.

I applied for 13a on May 11th and received 13a on Aug 10th.  Went to Angeles BI and they gave me my approval paperwork and stamped passport notifying of change on status from 9g to 13a.  They said they would contact me when they received I-Card, but it's been almost 3 mo's!

Edited by ITGeek
Updated info

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, ITGeek said:

They said they would contact me when they received I-Card, but it's been almost 3 mo's!

A little like our Driving licences, Mine almost One year "WOT No plastic, Plenty in the Sea I read :SugarwareZ-005:

• Haha 3

PaulB
Posted
Posted (edited)

IT Geek

Just a heads up on what happened to me when I applied for my ACR Card. I live and work in Abu Dhabi so when we finished the process i thought no big deal to leave without the card and get someone to collect it for me in my absence. I went to the airport on the Friday night to go to Abu Dhabi and the Philippines Immigration would not let me leave as no ACR Card or letter of waiver. 

I had to wait until Monday to go to BI Intramuros and get the letter of Waiver and then I was allowed to travel. My card was collected for me a week later and now in my possession and I report with it every year.

Make sure you have the waiver to travel letter if you don't have the card or you may not be able to leave either. Lucky I work for the airline I travelled with so flights were easily rebooked and a cheap room in the Crew hotel.

Forward for your info.

Paul

Edited by PaulB
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, PaulB said:

IT Geek

Just a heads up on what happened to me when I applied for my ACR Card. I live and work in Abu Dhabi so when we finished the process i thought no big deal to leave without the card and get someone to collect it for me in my absence. I went to the airport on the Friday night to go to Abu Dhabi and the Philippines Immigration would not let me leave as no ACR Card or letter of waiver. 

I had to wait until Monday to go to BI Intramuros and get the letter of Waiver and then I was allowed to travel. My card was collected for me a week later and now in my possession and I report with it every year.

Make sure you have the waiver to travel letter if you don't have the card or you may not be able to leave either. Lucky I work for the airline I travelled with so flights were easily rebooked and a cheap room in the Crew hotel.

Forward for your info.

Paul

Paul, where did you apply for the 13a?

Ridiculous that they can't manage the cards transport better.  Then they create an extra bureaucracy  to deal with not having a card.

• Like 1

PaulB
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Ridiculous that they can't manage the cards transport better.  Then they create an extra bureaucracy  to deal with not having a card.

I did all my paperwork and medical in Abu Dhabi but had to redo the medical in Manila and did all in one day in Manila. Just the card took two weeks to be ready for collection.

• Like 1

ITGeek
Posted
Posted
On 10/28/2017 at 2:08 AM, OnMyWay said:

On 10/28/2017 at 12:18 AM, PaulB said:

IT Geek

Forward for your info.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update.  I directly contacted (email) the Main BI Commissioner's Office and explained my situation for requiring an "Emergency Waiver and ECC".  Fortunately, they replied after a couple of days and said yes they will issue it to me.  So that way I have a proof in case of any issue at Main BI Central Processing.   My asawa and I are going to Manila on 11/16 to Main BI, 72 hrs before departure.  I will have my cane so and use PWD line, which will hopefully speed things up and get my required approvals same visit.  Then we can relax in Pasay until my flight leaves. 

It's a little frustrating that I can't be as physically active (I'm 53) as I used to be.  After 7 surgeries on my right leg (4 knee, 3 ankle/foot), I already have moderate-advanced osteoarthritis and also RSD/CRPS (a nerve disorder that causes edema in my right foot/ankle).  I'm sure many on here could relate to where in your mind you still feel in your 30's, but your body says no.  In the words of Indiana Jones, "It's not the age, but the mileage".   

• Like 1

ITGeek
Posted
Posted
On 10/28/2017 at 9:39 PM, PaulB said:

I did all my paperwork and medical in Abu Dhabi but had to redo the medical in Manila and did all in one day in Manila. Just the card took two weeks to be ready for collection.

I'm not sure how long ago you got your 13a, but BI didn't require a medical certificate for approving my application.  I had read the following on the checklist for 13a conversion on BI web site:

Original or certified true copy of Bureau of Quarantine Medical Clearance, if applicant is a national of any of the countries listed under Annex “A” of Immigration Operations Order No. SBM-14-059-A who arrived in the Philippines on or after June 2014.

• Like 1