Help Needed! Which UK Visa for Spouse??

frank dallamane
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi there...new to this forum.

I have a question about visas which has probably been asked a million times but im having conflicting answers around the web.

I just recently got married to my wife in the filipines but had to leave to return to the UK for work.  I will be returning to Leyte in January for a couple of months but wanted to bring my wife back to the UK for the summer..ie APR to SEP.  Even though we are married, should she just apply for a UK tourist visa?  We only want to stay for 6 months and then both return to Phillies. If i apply for fiance visa/spouse visa, will we have to remain in UK for 2 years or can we come and go?

Your replies would be greatly appreciated

Frank

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Changed forum section and took out caps.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum, I am at the other end of the universe  being from Oz, so I cant help you with your questions.  But hang in there, they will come fast and informative.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Hi and welcome.  I read your post and changed the section of the forum where you had started the thread and eliminated all the capital letters.  We don't use all caps in our thread titles here.

I am sure there are Brits who can give advice here.  If altering your topic heading has changed the meaning of what you are looking for, let me know and I will change it again.  It looks like you want to take your legal wife to the UK and you are unsure what kind of Visa to apply for.  Does that sum it up?

• Like 1

frank dallamane
Posted
Posted

Yes that's correct. Thanks for helping

stevewool
Posted
Posted

The rules change often and it's been years since I even have read them about what visas you may need.

Go onto the UK government web site that should help you.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

A long time ago a friend who was married to a filipina was told that as they were married a visit visa was no longer appropriate, they needed a spouse visa even to visit. The reason behind this was to stop couples short cutting the system then applying for a change in status once they got to the UK. The UK gov website should give you the latest information.

jrlee183
Posted
Posted

I know plenty of people who are married and applied for a 6 month tourist visa.   AFAIK, the UK no longer allow conversion of a tourist visa to any other type of visa to stop people abusing the system. 

If her intention is to just visit for 6 months then tourist visa will be fine.  But if longer then you need to apply for the visa relevant to your situation.