What Watts are What?

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Is there a meter that will give the surge current?  Because it seems the maximum surge is the main focus of any power system.

I just did a search on power meters and pulled up the manual for a similar device (Bauhn power meter PA39085). The relevant section says

"Max watts – maximum wattage reached during the current
monitoring period."

In other words the surge current.

I noticed that both this meter and the one you linked to on Amazon also show the power factor for the device.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, not so old china hand said:

In other words the surge current.

I noticed that both this meter and the one you linked to on Amazon also show the power factor for the device.

I broke off to read JP's answer. I would guess the technicians were using a clamp ammeter like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-ranging-Digital-Clamp-Meter/dp/B001VGND88

I had a quick glance at the specs but didn't see whether it could be programmed to record a brief surge.

AFAICS the power meter you linked to would do everything you require and at $19 (plus shipping) looks like a good deal.

:56da64aa52228_23_9_101:

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, not so old china hand said:

I broke off to read JP's answer. I would guess the technicians were using a clamp ammeter like this one:

No my friends it was as simple as this power meter.jpg

• Thanks 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

No my friends it was as simple as this 

OK that would do the job. Personally I would prefer not to use probes on bare conductors at 220v.:Caught: But as Jake would say "Its more pun in the Philippines".:SugarwareZ-005:

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, not so old china hand said:

OK that would do the job. Personally I would prefer not to use probes on bare conductors at 220v.:Caught: But as Jake would say "Its more pun in the Philippines".:SugarwareZ-005:

Yes I take your point but it is not the power coming to the House that is in Question it is the power going into the A/C unit

• Like 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

it is not the power coming to the House that is in Question it is the power going into the A/C unit

Agreed and I think for Dave's purpose the power meter he linked to is the way to go.:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I couldn't find any specs if this device is universal.....will it accept 220VAC?  

By the way, surge power is normally related to the initial current flow through a coil (at turn on).  In this case, a coil in the fan motor of an AC unit.  After it gets up to speed, the surge current is no longer needed.  It's similar to the specs of a car battery where the action of cranking the starter (solenoid and starter motor with a big ass coil) requires that cranking power.  If the engine doesn't catch and you're cranking and cranking, then the battery will drain more quickly.  If your generator sounds like it's weak, probably the AC fan motor needs to be service, at least lubricated?  It's not getting up to speed?  

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jake said:

I couldn't find any specs if this device is universal.....will it accept 220VAC?  

I will look into that but they say they deliver to the Philippines and that would be someone useless if it will not accept 220 VAV :bonk:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I will look into that but they say they deliver to the Philippines and that would be someone useless if it will not accept 220 VAV :bonk:

If you look in the more product details it says, 110 to 130 V so i guess it could be used as a souvenir. :smile: 

Technical Parameters
● 3-pin US plug
● Functioning indicator
● Frequency Display: 60HZ
● Operating Voltage: 120VAC
● Operating Current: max 15A
● Frequency Display: 0Hz~9999Hz
● Wide Voltage Range: 110V-130V 
● Voltage Display Range: 0V~9999V
● Current Display (amps): 0.000A~15.000A
● Timing Display Range: 0 second~9999 days
● Price Display Range: 0.00COST/KWH~99.99COST/KWH 
● Power Consumption of the Power Meter Monitor: 0.5W
● Total KWh and Cost Display: 0.000KWh-9999KWh, 0.00COST-9999COST
● Dimensions: Length = 6.1inch(155mm); Width = 2.76inch(70mm); Height = 1.77inch(45mm)
● The Set Wattage display (Watts) is 0W~9999W, But the real Wattage display (Watts) is 0~1800W.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

If you look in the more product details it says, 110 to 130 V so i guess it could be used as a souvenir. :smile: 

Technical Parameters
● 3-pin US plug
● Functioning indicator
● Frequency Display: 60HZ
● Operating Voltage: 120VAC
● Operating Current: max 15A
● Frequency Display: 0Hz~9999Hz
● Wide Voltage Range: 110V-130V 
● Voltage Display Range: 0V~9999V
● Current Display (amps): 0.000A~15.000A
● Timing Display Range: 0 second~9999 days
● Price Display Range: 0.00COST/KWH~99.99COST/KWH 
● Power Consumption of the Power Meter Monitor: 0.5W
● Total KWh and Cost Display: 0.000KWh-9999KWh, 0.00COST-9999COST
● Dimensions: Length = 6.1inch(155mm); Width = 2.76inch(70mm); Height = 1.77inch(45mm)
● The Set Wattage display (Watts) is 0W~9999W, But the real Wattage display (Watts) is 0~1800W.

It's a little bit ambiguous because it also says "Voltage Display Range 0V - 9999V"