Brown outs

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Lots of you have mentioned these and they can happen anytime it seems and anywhere too, but i have never heard Emma's father mention them at all.

So do these only happen in certain places, yes i can understand a local village up in the hills suffering more then others .

Marikina is where the home is so being so close to Manila does that help , be interesting to hear from people who do live near by and have you suffered from these.

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Angeles City has them!

Castaway
Posted
Posted

Metro Manila · No Electricity: Brownouts & Blackouts

With an increasing number of storms and other calamities, coupled with fragile infrastructure, chances are high that you experience at least one or two brownouts per year in the Megacity Manila. Here is what you should know about power outages and how to be prepared.

Blackout

Blackouts refer to a complete loss of electricity flow in the power grid. Fortunately, that does not happen very often in Manila. Blackouts are rare, where brownouts are much more common.

Brownout

A brownout refers to the decrease of electricity flow in the power grid. Brownouts happen in the Megacity from time to time, especially during summer. Brownouts range from a couple of minutes to a few hours maximum. Sometimes, brownouts are intentionally caused due to the lack of electricity to serve the whole Megacity. In that case, the power distribution companies establish 'rotating' brownouts where every city inside the Megacity will have no electricity for 1-2 hours. These planned brownouts will be announced beforehand.

http://www.megacities-go-services.com/Manila/Manila-Daily-Survive-Manila/Safety-Security/No-Electricity-Brownouts-Blackouts

Howard
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Lots of you have mentioned these and they can happen anytime it seems and anywhere too, but i have never heard Emma's father mention them at all.

So do these only happen in certain places, yes i can understand a local village up in the hills suffering more then others .

Marikina is where the home is so being so close to Manila does that help , be interesting to hear from people who do live near by and have you suffered from these.

Very rarely in Marikina and Pasig city.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Manila

In my part of Metro Manila we have not had a  serious brown out since 2015 when we had a direct hit by a typhoon. We have had brown outs lasting an hour or two during heavy rain and lighting storms. A scheduled brown out here? Hasn't happened in the 5 years we have been here

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

They come & go.  In the city (Iloilo) we had brownouts, but not as much as 3 towns away.  They did some kind of major repair recently because now we do not get brownouts as often.  We just had 3 days of torrential winds and rain.  The whole area had a brownout, most for only a few hours.  We were off for 2 days, but found out that a tree fell and took out a power line... and they would not fix it until the rain stopped.  It seems that no matter where you live over here you will have brownouts.  Mostly now we have scheduled brownouts for maintenance work. Welcome to the third world ha ha  :tiphat:

Gary D
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

Just the normal day in the life of a filipino, probably not unusual enough to think of mentioning.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Apart from twice when they were replacing power in Cebu city we had no more there.In Dalaguete we had about 5 in the 4 years I was there.Here it is more frequent because we are fed by another island I believe.You do get used to them and when they are scheduled we just go out for a few hours by the time we get back there are usually over.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 15/10/2017 at 7:26 PM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

They come & go.  In the city (Iloilo) we had brownouts, but not as much as 3 towns away.  They did some kind of major repair recently because now we do not get brownouts as often.  We just had 3 days of torrential winds and rain.  The whole area had a brownout, most for only a few hours.  We were off for 2 days, but found out that a tree fell and took out a power line... and they would not fix it until the rain stopped.  It seems that no matter where you live over here you will have brownouts.  Mostly now we have scheduled brownouts for maintenance work. Welcome to the third world ha ha  :tiphat:

I'm in Iloilo as well, not in the city proper though. In my 3 years here, we've never been without power for more than 12 hours. We have regular (monthly?) scheduled brownouts for maintenance and always on a weekend. Our sub-division posts a notice at the gates to advise in advance. We do get the odd brownout, on average once a week, but they last 1 or 2 hours only. We do have spells where they occur frequently, 3 or 4 consecutive days, then presumably the power company gets its act together and fixes properly.

The brownouts are less of an inconvenience than the damn generators that burst into life after 5 minutes - really folks, you can survive an hour or 2 without power!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, hk blues said:

you can survive an hour or 2 without power!

We just had an hour brown out here but I am all sorted with deep cycle battery and inverter.  So much so that I forgot to turn it all back to the mains when the power came back on.  I'll do that after I write this.  But here's the bottom line:  I can "survive" without power, with a small budget, without certain comfort foods BUT I came here to be happy in my retirement and brownouts do not make me happy so I will do what it takes to maintain a steady power supply.

• Like 5