Brown outs

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

The brownouts are less of an inconvenience than the damn generators that burst into life after 5 minutes - really folks, you can survive an hour or 2 without power!

My wife is pestering me to buy a generator ha ha  She complains more than an expat.  I think a battery pack would be enough... 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I think a battery pack would be enough... 

Tim, you need to talk to Dave "H" or Alwaysright

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

My wife is pestering me to buy a generator ha ha  She complains more than an expat.  I think a battery pack would be enough... 

We find that a battery back-up system using a couple of 100ah batteries and an invertor handles the vast majority of our brownouts, which generally last less than 2 hours. However for extended brownouts then a small generator is very useful.

10 hours ago, hk blues said:

The brownouts are less of an inconvenience than the damn generators that burst into life after 5 minutes - really folks, you can survive an hour or 2 without power!

Maybe, maybe not. Everyones personal situation is different. We do have a small, extremely quiet, Honda eu10i genny which enables my SO to continue teaching online during extended brownouts. It cannot be heard outside of our property so is very neighbour friendly. I do agree that the vast majority of gennys seem to be the cheap, Chinese, NOISY rubbish available from the likes of Ace Hardware. I agree these are a real pain in the butt for the neighbours.

Ken

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

We do have a small, extremely quiet, Honda eu10i genny

Where did you got that genny? Would be interesting for other people here also.

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Dr. Shiva said:

Where did you got that genny? Would be interesting for other people here also.

I got it from the local Honda motorcycle dealer here in CDO. They also supply Honda agricultural machinery. I had to order it and it took about a month for it to be shipped from Honda in Manila.

Not cheap, but extremely reliable, quiet and economical. Runs for about 7 hours on a tank of little more than 2 litres!

Ken

• Like 3

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Huggybearman said:

I got it from the local Honda motorcycle dealer here in CDO. They also supply Honda agricultural machinery. I had to order it and it took about a month for it to be shipped from Honda in Manila.

Not cheap, but extremely reliable, quiet and economical. Runs for about 7 hours on a tank of little more than 2 litres!

Ken

How many kW / kVA have this genny output?

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dr. Shiva said:

How many kW / kVA have this genny output?

It's rated at 900w but being an inverter type genny it regulates its RPM to match the load, so if it is only running say, 300 watts then it's RPM will be quite low, so saving petrol. 

If you google Honda eu10i you can find all info.

An example here:  https://www.farmers-equipment.co.uk/inverter-generators/803-honda-eu10i-10kw-portable-generator-3573390030201.html

Ken

• Like 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

It's rated at 900w but being an inverter type genny it regulates its RPM to match the load, so if it is only running say, 300 watts then it's RPM will be quite low, so saving petrol. 

If you google Honda eu10i you can find all info.

An example here:  https://www.farmers-equipment.co.uk/inverter-generators/803-honda-eu10i-10kw-portable-generator-3573390030201.html

Ken

Nice backup generator for freezer and fridges.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

Do you remember about how much 'not cheap' is?

I have about p16,000 in my setup. A 170Ah deep cycle AGM communications rated (think cell tower backup) battery and a 1,000w,/3,000w surge pure sine wave inverter. Brownout or even low voltage, it automatically switched from AC to inverter, when AC comes back on it automatically switches back to AC and charges the battery. TV does not even blink and completely silent.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 10/15/2017 at 4:36 PM, stevewool said:

Lots of you have mentioned these and they can happen anytime it seems and anywhere too, but i have never heard Emma's father mention them at all.

So do these only happen in certain places, yes i can understand a local village up in the hills suffering more then others .

Marikina is where the home is so being so close to Manila does that help , be interesting to hear from people who do live near by and have you suffered from these.

It only is relevant if you have electricity connected  Steve. haha

• Like 3