Question concerning Direct Deposit

Can anyone tell me what I should do since I have no Bank Account  for my Soc Sec Check to be deposited into?

What can be done and how do I do it? Naturally I need to have access to my monthly check. 

• Forum Support

Do you mean you have no bank account in any country and are unwilling or unable to open one?

I take it your currently living here in Cebu. To open a bank account here, you would at least be/have your name on a utility bill because

the bank will ask for one as proof of residency along with possibly a 13a visa (depends on the bank). The other idea if you can't open a USA bank account
is an online bank with checking/savings. Then either use ATM, or wire transfer service for cash pickup here(ie World Remit, Remitly. or Xoom)

Query google for online banking, or if you are a Vet, I use USAA online for Soc Sec deposits, then wire transfer for cash pickup in Cebu.

• Like 2
  • Forum Support
1 hour ago, Rich LeMin said:

I have no Bank Account 

Welcome to the forum, this isn't meant to be a smart ass comment,,,,but,,,you really need to open a bank account.

Almost everything the US government does now is electronic. My troops in the Army were required to have a direct deposit. In order to receive a hard check they had to bring in memos from three different banks saying why they could not open a bank account. Only then was the check mailed to them.

I have serious doubts that they would mail a hard check over seas. 

• Forum Support
1 hour ago, Rich LeMin said:

What can be done and how do I do it?

There is something here about getting a Direct Express Card which is a prepaid debit card and you can get direct deposit to that and use it at an ATM.  Read more here:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10073.pdf

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

There is something here about getting a Direct Express Card which is a prepaid debit card and you can get direct deposit to that and use it at an ATM.  Read more here:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10073.pdf

That has a 3% int'l withdrawal fee so not a good option for someone living outside the U.S.

• Thanks 1

I know some expats that have their money sent direct deposit to a local bank, and others that have it sent to their US bank.  There are pros and cons to each, but you definitely need a bank account.

3 hours ago, Rich LeMin said:

Can anyone tell me what I should do since I have no Bank Account  for my Soc Sec Check to be deposited into?

What can be done and how do I do it? Naturally I need to have access to my monthly check. 

Too much missing info. Are you currently receiving SS? Have you notified SS you are living in the Philippines? Do you have a bank acct?

SS benefits for those living in the Phils is administered by the Social Security office at the US Embassy in Manila. I would start with them, but you are definitely going to need a bank acct. This is their contact info, as I recall they only answer between 2 - 4pm but you can leave a message and they will return your call. Or email. 

(632) 301-2000 ext. 9
Fax: (632) 708-9723 and (632) 708-9714
E-Mail: FBU.Manila@ssa.gov

I had a Direct Deposit account in the U.S.A -But have had many major problems  with that account . I need to know I'll have access to the funds from my Soc Sec without delay . I'm going to see if I can get a  Direct Express  card as recommended by another Expat .. 

• Like 1
  • Forum Support
46 minutes ago, Rich LeMin said:

Direct Express  card as recommended

Please keep in mind there is a difference between pointing out your options and recommending it.

Many expats who live full time in Philippines set up a Philippine bank account and have their money direct deposited to that account.  If you do not live full time in Philippines you may still want to set up a Philippine bank account to transfer your money to.   For example, supposing you had your Soc Sec deposited to a Direct Express card (an option not a recommendation).  There are companies such as Transferwise that will accept money from your debit card, exchange it to Pesos at a fair rate, and deposit it in your Philippine bank account.  When I have used Transferwise to do that, the money is here inside 48 hours but their fee is about 1% higher than normal for that service.

• Like 2