Transfer US Social Security to Philippines?

davewe
Posted
Posted

I assumed from the start that once I got settled in the Philippines I would inform Social Security that I was living here. I suppose that by nature I am honest if only because it's generally easier to remember the lies when you're mostly telling the truth.

But before we left the US we talked to all our financial institutions. All the reps we talked with winked and said " Don't tell us you're living abroad." We can happily service you as a resident of the US, but once you tell us your a resident of another country bad things will happen. So that started my thought process.

I arrived here, and contacted Social Security in Manila to ask how to go about the change of address. They emailed me the form which I have yet to fill out.

Recently I met an expat of 5 years who told me he still uses the US (Florida) as his residence and in his opinion it is a mistake to declare the Philippines as your place of residence. For one thing he gets the Advantage version of Medicare and has actually charged his insurance company when he had a hospitalization here in the Philippines; and they paid at the 80% Medicare pays. Because he is a "resident" of FLorida and not the Philippines apparently he was able to do this.

But back to my fundamental question. Which is the better strategy and why: Declaring myself a resident of the Philippines or continuing to declare myself a US resident? I currently use my sister's house as my residence in the US so if anything arrives that requires my attention, I can handle it.

Opinions?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I told everybody in the UK I was a resident here and it has caused me problems.My advice would be if it is not broken don`t fix it.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, davewe said:

Opinions?

The advice these people gave you in US before you came here, is very sound.  Things are very similar in Australia and they are always trying to get me to admit that Thailand/Philippines is my new address.  I never accept it  (and this was the advice I got from a very friendly Government employee).  

I also remember being in /cebu when I first came to Philippines and met an Aussie who had lived here for 20 plus years.  His advice was 'never admit anything' and this has been supported by my subsequent experiences.  Up to you, but I strongly suggest you think long and hard on this one.  The ears are telling you the answer.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, davewe said:

I assumed from the start that once I got settled in the Philippines I would inform Social Security that I was living here.

I have wrestled with that question as there are pros and cons to both sides, whether you are from US, Canada or any other country.  The way I look at it, my Visa here says "temporary resident" and tourist and the tax people in Canada consider me a permanent resident of Canada (with many stipulations about benefits and lack thereof when out of the country for extended periods of time).

So I do not inform anyone that I am "living in Philippines" unless its a slip of the tongue as I am only here a few months at a time by the grace of the Philippine government and I have no right of residency here.  So for me, I am currently a permanent resident of Canada who rarely goes home.  That does not tick all the boxes for all the government agencies but I have to cross each of those bridges as I come to them.

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I told everybody in the UK I was a resident here and it has caused me problems.My advice would be if it is not broken don`t fix it.

Totally agree Kev.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I have a requirement that when I am leaving the country (australia) that I have to contact our Social Security Department.  So I do so just before I am on my way back (usually go back for a month).  Half the time I will get a smart arse from Centeling (Social security department) who challenges me regarding  my residency statement.

We have a conversation and they drop their stance.  If I  had an option I would be still living in Oz, but I would never survive.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

My theory is keep it simple, in this case I don't change anything as far as government or banking is concerned. Direct Deposit goes to the same bank it always has, then I transfer to another US account which I use for getting money here. I have a mail service that emails me my mail as they get it so my mail delay is between none and one day. 

If anything happens, from natural disaster to terrorist threat to just want to move, I do not have to worry about where my money is, how it will get into my account,  or how to get it.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

My theory is keep it simple,

Great to be from the UK, I just do not get all this problem, pensions straight into my PNB account at pretty good rates :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

I have my Social Security  check direct deposited into my Bank of America Account and use my brothers address in Abilene Texas as my official address. I do have the SRRV Classic retirement Visa so there is some record of me living in the Philippines but I don't broadcast it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1