Transfer US Social Security to Philippines?

TonyK
Posted
Posted

So,if my income is incling SSA payments are sent to a US bank what is my RP tax rate on this income?  Will RP ever know?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, TonyK said:

So,if my income is incling SSA payments are sent to a US bank what is my RP tax rate on this income?  Will RP ever know?

Secret coded post :smile:

earthdome
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, TonyK said:

That income is from outside the Philippines. So you do not have to pay anything. I expect that it is very rare for an expat retiree in the Philippines to have to pay any income taxes to the Philippines unless they have a local business.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, earthdome said:

That income is from outside the Philippines. So you do not have to pay anything. I expect that it is very rare for an expat retiree in the Philippines to have to pay any income taxes to the Philippines unless they have a local business.

Pretty much correct yes - the Philippines operate a global tax system for citizens but not for foreigners so only income earned here is taxable here for us foreigners.  Technically, bank interest earned here should be taxed but when I checked at the BIR (I'm always wary of falling fowl of the government here or indeed anywhere so i decided to ask) - they said as long as the amount was small.  They didn't define small but we can make our own judgement.  

I'm not a fan of the "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" philosophy when it comes to such matters - something may be broken but you don't know it and it can be helluva hard to fix when you finally discover it was broken!

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 2/24/2018 at 12:40 PM, BigEn said:

My minor son is in the Philippines, has report of birth abroad, U.S. Passport and SSN.  Here is what the RAO website, Section II indicates:  

FPO:  MILITARY RETIREES AND RETIRING ACTIVE DUTY PERSONNEL WHO PLAN TO ARRIVE IN THE PHILIPPINES WITHIN 15 DAYS MAY CHANGE THEIR MAILING ADDRESS  TO:  NAME

PSC 517 BOX R C

FPO AP 96517-1000

I've been using the FPO address at RAO Angeles City since I moved here in 2002. For P150 per month they will send any mail you receive from the US to your physical address in the Phils via LBC or any other delivery service. It's how I receive my debit and credit cards from my US credit union. Any mail that I want to send to the US (including my tax returns) I send to the FPO mailroom C/O Jim Boyd in a sealed envelope with a note to please mail it. The mail goes through the US Embassy in Manila on the way to the US. FPO mailroom no. 045-892-0817 Landline. I call them about every 6 months to make sure I don't owe any money.

Jim Boyd, the founder of the RAO is also an Embassy Warden and an IRS certifying agent. His no. 045-888-2748.:cheers: