Jack Ma tests internet in Philippines: Not good

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thank you Captain Obvious! Now do something to fix it.

Last May, cloud service provider and content delivery network Akamai Intelligent Platform reported that the Philippines has the slowest and most intermittent internet connection speed in the world.

President Rodrigo Duterte earlier threatened both PLDT and Globe with new competition from China if their services do not improve.

http://www.philstar.com/business/2017/10/25/1752372/jack-ma-tests-internet-speed-philippines-not-good

MANILA, Philippines — Chinese tech magnate Jack Ma tried to test the Philippines' internet speed upon his arrival here, and he was not happy about the result.

Ma made his assessment during his lecture at the De La Salle University on Wednesday, which was also attended by executives of the Philippines' telecoms duopoly—PLDT, Inc. and Globe Telecom, Inc.

"I arrived late last night and I tried to test the speed of Philippine [internet], it's not good," Ma said, drawing cheers from his audience.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Include a quote from link to give idea of what its about
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

This Jack Ma in the article wants to change a lot of things.  Here is another quote from Ma in the article:

"We should make the Philippines a cashless society. When you have cashless society, [there is] no corruption. A lot easier," he said.

I like the fast Internet but I also like the "cash is king" attitude of the Philippines.  I find it easier to budget when I only spend what is in my pocket and I found that, (personal observation in other countries), prices go up when transactions are done electronically.  There is a high cost to the merchant every time they use cashless transaction and it must be passed on the the consumer.  Convenient for some but not good for low budget consumers.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

prices go up when transactions are done electronically.  There is a high cost to the merchant every time they use cashless transaction and it must be passed on the the consumer.

Agree.png My Wife tells me that if she pays on a card she can't get her discounts as the Price is tagged to  but paying cash they (The supplier can always get around this :wink:

Jack:ohmy:

Morning All:56da632e94212_1(60): ( Day out, Have to go Shopping) :photo-109:

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This Jack Ma in the article wants to change a lot of things.  Here is another quote from Ma in the article:

I like the fast Internet but I also like the "cash is king" attitude of the Philippines.  I find it easier to budget when I only spend what is in my pocket and I found that, (personal observation in other countries), prices go up when transactions are done electronically.  There is a high cost to the merchant every time they use cashless transaction and it must be passed on the the consumer.  Convenient for some but not good for low budget consumers.

So Mr. Ma would have us believe that in a cashless society there is no corruption.

Well, China is pretty much a cashless society where even the smallest transactions such as buying a snack on the street for 25 cents can be paid from a smartphone using WeChat Wallet or Alipay. This is the same country where the current leadership has purged a million officials for corruption.

BTW who owns Alipay? - Jack Ma.:89:

Edited by not so old china hand
syntax
  • Like 4

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Mr. Ma should remove the beam from his own eye before he addresses the speck in others' eyes. A few years ago,on a visit to the Philippines I posted that I was enjoying good internet access. This statement was met with polite disbelief by some forum members, however I was comparing the service I was getting in my hotel in Pasay with the abysmal service I 'enjoyed' in my appartment in Beijing (and it was no better when I left Beijing a few months ago).

And, unlike China, the Philippines government does not dictate what its citizens should be allowed to access on the Web (AFAIK).

Rant over :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Hopefully by publicizing that the Philippines has the slowest and most intermittent internet connection speed in the world, Jack Ma will shame the Duterte Administration into lighting a fire under Globe and PLDT executives asses to upgrade their systems.

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I agree that cashless societies are no good and the internet needs improving in the PI. I just booked flight tickets for my stepson to visit us over Christmas and had to use a card, my money, ( No money at agents or airport accepted, 1.75 % added to ticket, ) It took me all day to make the booking, the internet kept dropping out, thank god I live in a first world country where everything is perfect. :shades:

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, not so old china hand said:

Mr. Ma should remove the beam from his own eye before he addresses the speck in others' eyes. A few years ago,on a visit to the Philippines I posted that I was enjoying good internet access. This statement was met with polite disbelief by some forum members, however I was comparing the service I was getting in my hotel in Pasay with the abysmal service I 'enjoyed' in my appartment in Beijing (and it was no better when I left Beijing a few months ago).

And, unlike China, the Philippines government does not dictate what its citizens should be allowed to access on the Web (AFAIK).

Rant over :smile:

Surprising, I would have thought it would have been better in China, but then I remembered tje 1.4bln population.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Happyhorn52 said:

Hopefully by publicizing that the Philippines has the slowest and most intermittent internet connection speed in the world, Jack Ma will shame the Duterte Administration into lighting a fire under Globe and PLDT executives asses to upgrade their systems.

We can only hope.

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:
6 hours ago, not so old china hand said:

Surprising, I would have thought it would have been better in China, but then I remembered tje 1.4bln population.

Yes I think the sheer number of users is part of the problem.

This is compounded by the fact that the telecomms companies, China Telecom, China Mobile and China Unicom are government owned enterprises (even though they have public- listed subsidiaries). Their investment in infrastructure tends to follow a political agenda and there is no real independent oversight. If one happens to live on the route to some key government site then the service might be very good. However the majority of users are not in that fortunate position (pun intended).

In addition, as well as denying access to providers such as Google, Facebook, Youtube and a lot of foreign media the Great Firewall of China slows things down while the censors (human and bot) trawl for references to subversive words like "toad" and "Winnie the Pooh" http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-41523073.

While access speed to sites within China might sometimes be acceptable, speeds to overseas sites are slow to the extent that they often timeout.

Twenty years ago to access my email in Beijing I had to make a dial-up connection to an ISP in Hong Kong because the local ISP accessed from our office was so slow I could not read Word attachments. Five or ten years later things had improved to the point where mega-bit per second speeds were nominally available, although true speeds were often one tenth of that claimed. Since then as far as I am concerned there has been little change.

As always JMHO

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2