Expat in Iloilo needs O+

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

A friend is in the hospital here in Iloilo. He needs blood and Red Cross says they have none. Seems odd as O+ is the most common type.  Anyway...

Expat in St Paul's hospital, Iloilo needs blood, type O+.  Blood types O+, A+, B+, and AB+ can all donate to O+.

Please contact his wife, Angel, at 09123917435.

• Thanks 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

A friend is in the hospital here in Iloilo. He needs blood and Red Cross says they have none. Seems odd as O+ is the most common type.  Anyway...

Expat in St Paul's hospital, Iloilo needs blood, type O+.  Blood types O+, A+, B+, and AB+ can all donate to O+.

Please contact his wife, Angel, at 09123917435.

Not correct. Only blood type 0+ and 0- can donate to a blood type 0+ owner.  Quite dangerous that above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I was given the wrong info then.  But the doctors will be in charge of that... 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

But the doctors will be in charge of that

According to the Philippine National Red Cross, you are correct that O+ is quite common in Philippines.  I am very surprised that your friend's wife cannot go to the trike drivers in front of the hospital and ask if anyone with O+ will donate.  I heard the going rate was 1000 pesos for a bag of blood.

If he waits for foreigners to donate he may have a helluva time.  First we are mainly far from Iloilo and second the doctors always seem to tell us we are too old, or on too many medications or have some kind of illness so we cannot donate.  I needed A+ in Silliman and the doctor did not accept any of my friends as donors for reasons like that.  Heck, I could not donate to another for the same reason.  But I am pleased to tell that a filipino's blood now runs through my veins and I am none the worse for it.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

the doctors always seem to tell us we are too old, or on too many medications or have some kind of illness so we cannot donate.

Same thing happened to me, 6 guys came and only 1 was "approved" to donate, which he did and then they said they didn't need it. SMH. It's unfortunate but she may have to buy the blood on the street. Really a travesty they don't have O+.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Correct Dr Shiva, and blood in the PI is not given out like Western countries, you have to source it yourself from who ever you can, paying for it is the prefered method if a family member won't, all the best.

• Like 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

Fortunately he is 0+. In the case of 0- it would be a big horror to find fitting blood.

But as other mentioned that it really look strange that the hospital do not have any 0+ blood available.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dr. Shiva said:

In the case of 0- it would be a big horror to find fitting blood.

I'm am type O- and the Red Cross here always seemed happy to get my donation, they tell me that I'm too old to donate now though.

This thread is a bit of an eye opener, I'd never thought about access to transfusions whilst in the Philippines.

*Best wishes for a good outcome to the person seeking the blood*

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Last year when my husband was in a motorcycle accident and needed blood for a surgery on his lacerated knee. I was told that another hospital might possibly have a stock, as they had none of his type in their blood  bank. In the lobby, a hospital worker approached me and told me that a fellow hospital worker had my husband's type, and would be willing to donate. I agreed and he came in to the blood bank that night, but his blood pressure was slightly elevated, and he didn't qualify.  He came in the next morning, and having an acceptable reading now ,so he qualified at their hospital blood bank, and gave his blood donation. It seems that this is routinely done at this hospital with staff. I believe that my husband agreed on the fee and paid him 2000 pesos. The young man had to go in for screening and fast for a time to qualify. It was less hassle for us and we were glad to have the option. We paid a small fee for his testing and blood withdrawal at the blood bank. This might be an option for some. They told my husband that even better if he had two units for his surgery, but he just went with the one, and waited over time to naturally replace his own blood back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

his blood pressure was slightly elevated, and he didn't qualify.

I've never quite figured that one out.  Logic says if you let a little out then the pressure will come down :morning1:

• Haha 1