Broadband connection in condo

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted

Hi,

How easy is it to get a decent internet connection in a condo in Metro Manila? Also what do I need to apply for it? I read somewhere foreigners need to have some type of work ID or something but I don't have one as I live in Hong Kong. I will be moving there for a few months to work from my condo and right now don't have a connection. It needs to be fairly fast and obviously cheap as possible. How long does it take to install? Plus the flat is in my wife's name but she won't be with me, although the management know me. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dirk

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, DirkSquirrel said:

the flat is in my wife's name but she won't be with me

Sometimes they require permission from the owner if its a wired in connection.  Sometimes they don't bother with that. Some companies make a fuss about putting Internet into a foreigners name and some don't.  I am saying its hard to predict how much trouble you will have but it can surely be done with patience.  If you can get a notarized power of attorney from your wife to allow you to do what you want in the condo it may help, or it may not be needed.

Example:  I have PLDT in my name, no problem.  SkyCable would not put it my name but they gave it to me in my partner's name.  Strange country.

• Like 1

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dave. I guess I will try to get a power of attorney thing. The last few times I've been there, there's been a guy in the lobby trying to sell a cable/internet deal but I never paid any attention to him. I think he was from Globe. How long did it take to install once you signed up?

Cheers

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Any bodies guess Dirk, depends on where you are and the speeds you require etc. We simply used "Smart" dongles @ 200 pesos for 5 days unlimited and could stream youtube etc. with little or rare buffering. Worked for us, area San Lazaro Sta Cruz.

Welcome to the forum and hope you find your answers.

Cheers, Steve.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, DirkSquirrel said:

How long did it take to install once you signed up?

For me it was a few days to a week.  Not sure about the experience of others.  During the wait I just used either a pocket wifi or data service through my phone.  Not the fastest but better than nothing.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I am so surprised  it is not wired for this and just needs  Authorization to commence But:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted
On 11/9/2017 at 6:28 PM, bigpearl said:

Any bodies guess Dirk, depends on where you are and the speeds you require etc. We simply used "Smart" dongles @ 200 pesos for 5 days unlimited and could stream youtube etc. with little or rare buffering. Worked for us, area San Lazaro Sta Cruz.

Welcome to the forum and hope you find your answers.

Cheers, Steve.

thanks steve. i have one of those already but not used for long periods. i need a stable connection as i will be doing some work now and again too. cheers

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted
On 11/9/2017 at 6:48 PM, Jack Peterson said:

I am so surprised  it is not wired for this and just needs  Authorization to commence But:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

yeah, condo is only three years old. you'd think they would have factored it in. cheers

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, DirkSquirrel said:

condo is only three years old. you'd think they would have factored it in. cheers

Usually, the condo is delivered to the buyer as a concrete shell and its up to the buyer to outfit it as suits them.  If you wife was the buyer, and she contracted with someone to complete the interior, then you know where "they" are and you know who should have factored it in. :morning1:

• Like 1

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Usually, the condo is delivered to the buyer as a concrete shell and its up to the buyer to outfit it as suits them.  If you wife was the buyer, and she contracted with someone to complete the interior, then you know where "they" are and you know who should have factored it in. :morning1:

it was furnished when we got it. we didn't need to do anything except install a hot shower. everything else was already there - including tv and dvd player 

• Like 1