Somewhat funny approaching at car vs. public transport

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

In this house we have a saying, do we NEED it or Just WANT it? if it is them (My ladies) it is Need always,  if it is me, I have to justify the Need from the  Want :hystery: :89: You think I am Kidding? :whistling:

We hear you Jack and I concur.

Cheers, Steve.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

Is the SRP including the VAT or not.

VAT is included on the Philippines cars.  Now that you mention it, the U.S. cars would have a sales tax added on and other fees, depending on which state.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, davewe said:

Another factor is what we in my former industry call the skew or version of the car.

Yes, that is one reason I chose the FIT / Jazz.  I think they are identical in most major ways.

Another Honda I am interested in for a future family car is the Honda Odyssey and the U.S. version is quite a bit different than the Philippines version.  U.S. has 3.5 liter V6 and PH has 2.4 liter 4 cyl.  The U.S. version is also about a foot longer.   A top of the line U.S. version is around $40,000 / p2,000,000 and the top of the line PH version is around p2,400,000.  A lot more for less car.

Jeff R Us
Posted
Posted

I prefer not to drive in the Philippines. It's way too stressful for me. Truth be told, my favorite mode of transportation is the Trike. Sometimes they are a little small for me and uncomfortable, but I enjoy them. I am never comfortable in jeepney's or multicabs. The stares and fear of being robbed or pick-pocketed always has me on alert. In my research I recently saw a YouTube video by a Bud Brown in Dumaguete who gets around in a Rusi Chariot. Looks like an interesting and economical set up. Any thoughts on the Rusi Chariot?

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jeff R Us said:

Any thoughts on the Rusi Chariot?

I know Bud likes it but it does look a little funny for a foreigner to be riding around in that.  But then my socks and sandals look funny so we each have quirks where you gotta brush off what other people think.  I bet more foreigners would ride around in something like that Rusi if our wives/gfs were more understanding but most often the ladies are the driving force in what our daily driver will be.

• Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This is not to say there is anything wrong with buying a new car, but when people say they need to buy new they are just trying to convince themselves, IMHO.

In the past, we have had several threads on buying new or used.  I think the main reason for some expats to buy new is the peace of mind knowing that the maintenance will be taken care of properly.  A used car that has been through a few owners might look ok but most of the time you don't know if it has been properly cared for.  If you are good mechanic you can probably get by that hurdle better than most of us who would have to find somebody to check the car carefully.

I've been lucky and bought both of my cars when they were only 6 months old with about ~5000 km on them.  Same as in the U.S., finding a 1-2 year old well cared for used car is usually the best value if you need a newer car.

There are many reasons for expats to "need" a certain type of transportation here in PH, many of which have been brought up.  I'm probably an exception to most members in that I have 3 kids to think about, so I will always be driving something newer with good safety equipment.  Most older cars can't provide the safety I want for my family.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The Avanza is a great car for expats to consider.  In 2013 I bought a 2009 J 1.3 5 seater , for only p390,000, and I really liked it.  Very maneuverable and a great city car.  Lots of room for hauling stuff around.  The only thing I didn't like is that it was a poor highway car.  The 5 speed would have it wound up to 3500 rpm at 100 kph, so the hwy fuel economy was not good.  The family was growing too so I sold it.  The new Avanzas have a lot more creature comforts than the older ones.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I have only ever bought a few new cars in my life and they were tax break purchases.  When I got here, I started looking for a used car, Dave H rightly suggested sticking to Toyota for reasons of part acces.  I found a Corolla Vios only 2 years old 14k and immaculate. Government worker owner, no issues.  Saved 300k on new car price -- no brainer for me.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

.  I bet more foreigners would ride around in something like that Rusi if our wives/gfs were more understanding but most often the ladies are the driving force in what our daily driver will be.

Thankfully I don't have that problem.

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

Better to drive a tricycle than that Rusi chariot. But in my eyes it would be still better to drive any type of car due better safety in any car.