Your favorite brand of bacon that is widely available in Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

What is your favorite brand of bacon that is widely available in Philippines, specifically in Dumaguete?

For many years I used and recommended Virginia bacon with one caveat.  You had to visually inspect each package, before purchase, to be sure its not a load of fat and gristle.   Well Virginia got wise to that and stopped putting clear plastic on the package so you cannot see inside.  It means the Virginia bacon I have been buying lately is a load of garbage.

So, other suggestions?  I eat it every day and Virginia has the taste I like.  What is close to that in price and taste but not full of fat and cartilage?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So, other suggestions? 

Don't know the name but we get ours from "Belcris"  about 500/600 a Kilo I believe, you can have 250 or 500 grams as well, Comes Honey Roast Green ( that is what unsmoked is called Folks :smile: and Smoked, Great stuff. As you say there is a marked decrease in quality of Pre packed  CDR and Virginia Brands. Also, Robinson's sell bacon open that you can weigh for your purchase. That is not too bad either. Just my suggestions for your My Friend :thumbsup: 

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Thanks 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

What is your favorite brand of bacon that is widely available in Philippines, specifically in Dumaguete?

For many years I used and recommended Virginia bacon with one caveat.  You had to visually inspect each package, before purchase, to be sure its not a load of fat and gristle.   Well Virginia got wise to that and stopped putting clear plastic on the package so you cannot see inside.  It means the Virginia bacon I have been buying lately is a load of garbage.

So, other suggestions?  I eat it every day and Virginia has the taste I like.  What is close to that in price and taste but not full of fat and cartilage?

If you can find it, try Swift brand.  When we first moved to Subic they had it at SM Olongapo but they stopped carrying it.  Now they have it at the Royal Duty Free.

I see Hormel at a lot of place but it is expensive.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Thanks 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I've seen Hormel available in S&R. We usually buy PureFoods. If my mother-in-law cooks it right (crisp without being overcooked), it's quite good. I don't know how it compares to Virginia, though.

• Thanks 1

Howard
Posted
Posted

We buy the Pure Foods all the time. I like it just fine. Now, if I could find a good breakfast sausage here! I don't like the sweet longinisa or Tocino! I just don't get the sweet tasting meat thing!

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I get the Honey Cured Bacon from Belcris, have it several times a week. p320 per kilo package.

(Will be enjoying some in the next few minutes, I am checking the forums as I wait for it to be cooked)

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I get the Honey Cured Bacon from Belcris, have it several times a week. p320 per kilo package.

(Will be enjoying some in the next few minutes, I am checking the forums as I wait for it to be cooked)

@Dave Hounddriver

Agree but i was never good on prices so thar you go Dave, problem solved for you :thumbsup:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

I get the Honey Cured Bacon from Belcris

Ok, so if its not a "branded" product then is it just "Kevin The Butcher"'s bacon?  If so I can just pop round his house and get some.

• Haha 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Thanks all, I only had one meal of bacon over there and had to make a quick trip to the CR, never asked for a meal that had bacon mentioned in it again. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Thanks all, I only had one meal of bacon over there and had to make a quick trip to the CR, never asked for a meal that had bacon mentioned in it again. 

Not the bacon I would suspect unless it was Off, I had to show all in our house how it should be Cooked. Due to my Dietary needs I can't have it Fried as I would like so I have it  sauteed in water and a little oil Pretty good and gets a little crispy too.

• Like 3