What's It Like Where You Live In The Pi

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

Have just got back from Tacaloban, capital of Leyte. Much smaller than Cebu of course, little "nightlife" but some great restaurants and very relaxed. IMO should be added to the list.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
<snip>Since this is NOT a forum just about CEBU, maybe some of you guys could describe where you live, why you picked that place, what you like and dislike about it...Might help some of us make some decisions about where we might want to at least check out before making a permanent landing there. How about it?Jim
I've spent most of my time in the Philippines in the Metro Manila area but I currently live in Baguio. In the Manila area, I've lived in Malabon, Makati and Mandaluyong City. I love the Manila area. I've always been a city boy so Manila is just what I like. Except for the smog and heat. I need to live somewhere with somewhat clean air and a more temperate climate. Since my wife has family in Baguio, we decided to settle there.So far I like living here quite a bit. The weather is by far the biggest attraction. You have all the other aspects of life in the Philippines, minus the sweat. If you are looking for a medium to small size city it's a good lifestyle here.The only drawback I've found so far is that it's a bit limited in shops and restaraunts. When we were furnishing our apartment we had to choose between settling for things that weren't quite what we wanted or going to Manila to shop.Also, unless you live in the center of town, transportation can be a bit spotty. We live on the outskirts and we generally have to either walk 1 km or wait 30 minutes for a taxi. The walk isn't that far, but Baguio is very hilly. We have to walk down and then up quite a steep hill to get anywhere. If you want the exercise, it's great, I've lost nearly 40 pounds in the 2 months I've been here. However, if you can't handle lots of walking and steep terrain than choose your location wisely.As far as cost of living, Baguio is far cheaper than anywhere I lived in Manila. It's even cheaper than Malabon. We rent a 2-bedroom apartment about 60sqm in size. We eat a basic diet with a few western brand foods and meat 5-6 times a week. All told, our monthly expenses run about 20-25,000 php. The biggest savings in in electricity due to no need for AC. In Manila, my electric bill would be anywhere from 5-8,000 per month. In Baguio, it's averaged 400php for the first 2 months.So to sum it up, Baguio is good for the weather and low cost of living. The negatives are limited shopping/dining options, transportation and mountainous terrain.
  • Like 1

twostrokes
Posted
Posted
<snip>Since this is NOT a forum just about CEBU, maybe some of you guys could describe where you live, why you picked that place, what you like and dislike about it...Might help some of us make some decisions about where we might want to at least check out before making a permanent landing there. How about it?Jim
I've spent most of my time in the Philippines in the Metro Manila area but I currently live in Baguio. In the Manila area, I've lived in Malabon, Makati and Mandaluyong City. I love the Manila area. I've always been a city boy so Manila is just what I like. Except for the smog and heat. I need to live somewhere with somewhat clean air and a more temperate climate. Since my wife has family in Baguio, we decided to settle there.So far I like living here quite a bit. The weather is by far the biggest attraction. You have all the other aspects of life in the Philippines, minus the sweat. If you are looking for a medium to small size city it's a good lifestyle here.The only drawback I've found so far is that it's a bit limited in shops and restaraunts. When we were furnishing our apartment we had to choose between settling for things that weren't quite what we wanted or going to Manila to shop.Also, unless you live in the center of town, transportation can be a bit spotty. We live on the outskirts and we generally have to either walk 1 km or wait 30 minutes for a taxi. The walk isn't that far, but Baguio is very hilly. We have to walk down and then up quite a steep hill to get anywhere. If you want the exercise, it's great, I've lost nearly 40 pounds in the 2 months I've been here. However, if you can't handle lots of walking and steep terrain than choose your location wisely.As far as cost of living, Baguio is far cheaper than anywhere I lived in Manila. It's even cheaper than Malabon. We rent a 2-bedroom apartment about 60sqm in size. We eat a basic diet with a few western brand foods and meat 5-6 times a week. All told, our monthly expenses run about 20-25,000 php. The biggest savings in in electricity due to no need for AC. In Manila, my electric bill would be anywhere from 5-8,000 per month. In Baguio, it's averaged 400php for the first 2 months.So to sum it up, Baguio is good for the weather and low cost of living. The negatives are limited shopping/dining options, transportation and mountainous terrain.
Tks for the info. Sounds like it hasn't changed much since I was last there. I used to go up to Baguio to see friends when I lived in LaUnion. I know exactly what you mean about the hills and lack of shopping. It was one of the reasons I didn't choose to move there when I left LaUnion. I was also still spending time participating in the night life back then which was limited in Baguio also. I used to also go up there when Camp John Hay was still a military base and would stay in the cabins. Was a nice getaway for a weekend, especially when it was chilly enough to use the fireplaces. When I go to visit LaUnion, I will probably make a trip up the hill to take a look around. I'm sure it has just gotton more populated and that's about it as far as change is concerned.Jim

tom_shor
Posted
Posted (edited)
Have just got back from Tacaloban, capital of Leyte. Much smaller than Cebu of course, little "nightlife" but some great restaurants and very relaxed. IMO should be added to the list.
Did you guys try that Italian resturant I told Bob about? We were in Tacloban last year. I'd like to go again and look around more. I haven't done as much traveling around as Paul for sure I am also looking to find where I want to settle. I believe he is mistaken about a Mall in Naval though. It is a pretty small town. They don't have many resturants but definately a quiet place. About two hours or so to Tacloban or Ormac. Edited by tom_shor

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted
Did you guys try that Italian resturant I told Bob about? We were there last year. I'd like to go again and look around more. I haven't done as much traveling around as Paul for sure I am also looking to find where I want to settle. I believe he is mistaken about a Mall in Naval though. It is a pretty small town. They don't have many resturants but definately a quiet place. About two hours or so to Tacloban or Ormac.
We did try an Italian Restaurant for lunch the day we left, Giuseppies. OK but nothing to write home about but then we have 4 or 5 really good ones in Cebu.The place that really did shine was Ocho, a fish restaurant where you make a selection and they cook it for you - good wine to. The place was heaving. We had about 8-9 dishes and they all came at once, within about 10 minutes and each one was superb. Bob and I agree the best meal we've had in the RP. If it could be franchised to Cebu someone would make a fortune - I wish I was younger.

paul
Posted
Posted

The best Italian restaurant in the Philippines can be found here: C' Italian DiningI challenge anyone to come up with one better. It won't happen.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
The best Italian restaurant in the Philippines can be found here: C' Italian DiningI challenge anyone to come up with one better. It won't happen.
We could call it "The Great Italian Restaurant Challenge" SugarwareZ-047.gif

paul
Posted
Posted

Mate, by the looks of your avatar, I think you won. :13_4_10[1]: :7_4_17[1]:

wallyperrier
Posted
Posted

until now, we stay in cebu/ mandauebut in april we want to move on to davao SugarwareZ-267.gif

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

We live in Minglanilla on the Southern Coastal Road. Its close enough to the City for me, bit like a Village than a large town as 100s of people know me by name and it has the feeling more of village living due to the way everything has been built along the main road so step onto a Sub road and it all goes quiet. Lots of underdeveloped land and low noise. But also close enough that we can get take-away deliveries or go into the City without it being a chore. The church is well worth a visit too a lot of work was undertaken when a priest from the Binghay family became the local priest although now moving up the ladder and been moved to another area.Market area is friendly and also helps that Aprils cousins and uncle own stores and stalls aswell as neighbours so security isnt really an issue and ive never felt worried in the area even at 3am.If anyone wants to drop by for a coffee or tea when im home your welcome to :1 (235):