Twice in two days

canadamale
Posted
Posted

Not to sure where or how to say this but here goes. I have been staying at the AVenue Suites on Makati ave. I have been staying here on and off for the last 4 years. In the last two days, I have encountered two foreigners down on there luck. The first came up to me and asked for my spare change. While I was standing on the curb hailing a taxi. I gave him a hundred peso bill I had. Which he took and run off before I could ask his story. The second time was this morning. I was going into Wendy's resto  to by burgers to take back to the condo for lunch. There was a caucasian man sitting on the step He says to me can you speak English. I say yes and he exclaims wow finally someone who speaks English. Asks me for 350 peso so he can go the American embassy. He says the embassy will give him 200 peso a day but he has to pic it up in person. I says if I not believe the embassy gives out cash. Then his story changed to he just got out of jail and was broke and wanted a room. I asked why he was in jail and he said his gf charges him with malicious intent and stole all his belongings. Then it started to get weird. One of the street kids came up,a it of maybe 7. He tells me he has hired the street kid to track his ex when he spots her on the avenue. He says before he was arrested he stashed money in his mattress and he is convinced the gf has taken the mattress back to here place. When this kid tell him where the house is he is going to break in, get his money back and go back to the house he has in Thailand. Believe me I could not make this up. He than asks me if I have any spare change to give the kid because it is his corner. I said no and went inside to order my burgers. I watched from inside and saw him pass the street kid a 100 peso bill and then try to grab it back and argue with the kid. No way the kid was giving up his hundred peso and just walked away. I came back outside and wished the guy all the best. He said thanks for sure and did not seem too stressed over the matter. Maybe it is a full moon and only me. Not to sure what I am wanting here,only wanting to vent. Thanks for allowing

• Like 3
  • I'm Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Its against Philippines law to be a foreigner who is a burden to the Philippines. This guy is being deported. 

American to be deported for begging and causing trouble in Ermita, Manila

An American who has become notorious for begging and causing trouble on the streets of Ermita, Manila, is set to be deported.

Victor Didenko, aged 47, had also overstayed his tourist visa and failed to renew his expired US passport.

Speaking today (Sunday, November 19), Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente confirmed that Didenko had been picked up on Friday near the corner of M H Del Pilar and Salas Street by the bureau’s fugitive search unit.

He is now being held at the Bureau of Immigration’s (BI) detention centre at Camp Bagong Diwa, Taguig City, and will be deported for being “undesirable, overstaying and undocumented” alien.

In a statement issued to the press, Mr Morente said: “Aside from being a notorious troublemaker, he will be deported for holding an expired US passport and overstaying his tourist visa.”

He added that Didenko had become a “burden to society” and been the “perennial subject of complaints by citizens who saw him frequently roam the streets of Manila and Pasay, begging for money from strangers and engaging in acts that disturb the peace”.

He continued: “We cannot allow unruly foreigners like him, who have no means of support, to stay in our country any longer, lest he becomes primarily dependent on the government for subsistence.”

Bobby Raquepo, of the BI’s fugitive search unit, said Didenko faced a Manila court in July on a charge of disturbing the peace. He was arrested on Mabini Street for shouting insults against Filipinos and challenging people to fight.

“We also heard that he had been begging from passersby on the pretext that he was robbed of his money and passport,” Mr Raquepo added.

Mr Didenko arrived in Manila in September last year and has been overstaying since March when his tourist visa expired. The US embassy has confirmed that his passport expired last month.

• Like 4

canadamale
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would think the same fate awaits (deportation) awaits the gentleman I met. I am surprised, if he was saying the truth of just getting out of jail. He did not have to prove he had the means to support himself to the authorities while in Ph. Two many parts of his story did not seem probable. Sadly, mostly for me, I left Makati later the same day I met this gentleman so I am unable to provide an update.                                                   Hmmm I wonder what would be a sufficient amount. Per day for funds?

Edited by canadamale
  • Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I would bave though deportation would automatically follow a jail sentence, not left to roam the streets.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Clermont said:

I looked like a beggar and that was the cause of the commotion.

lolol mont :hystery: this dove tails nicely with the unfriendly expat topic lolol. I wouldn't talk to half you guys either the way you walk around. I continually see guys in the malls with sleeveless shirts, tattered cargo shorts, 5 days worth of beard, thinning grey hair in a short pony tail, arms covered in tats  :shock_40_anim_gif:

I am sure that the majority of these guys are decent blokes, but I don't want to strike up a conversation with them on the off chance I will hear some type of sob story or another.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

virginprune
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

lolol mont :hystery: this dove tails nicely with the unfriendly expat topic lolol. I wouldn't talk to half you guys either the way you walk around. I continually see guys in the malls with sleeveless shirts, tattered cargo shorts, 5 days worth of beard, thinning grey hair in a short pony tail, arms covered in tats  :shock_40_anim_gif:

I am sure that the majority of these guys are decent blokes, but I don't want to strike up a conversation with them on the off chance I will hear some type of sob story or another.  

I have lustrous long hair (think Robert Plant circa Led Zep) generally tied in a pigtail and a goatee twisted into a dread. I do not have tattoos or wear sleeveless vests but I do dress comfortablely, this is who I am. Does this mean I'm not on your xmas card list :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, virginprune said:

not have tattoos or wear sleeveless vests but I do dress comfortablely

nope, your good :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Scott h,  wrong image, hair just over the collar and bird three inches long, two respectable tattoes, and a welcoming smile. If you see me I'll talk to you.:poke_80_anim_gif:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Gary D said:

I would bave though deportation would automatically follow a jail sentence, not left to roam the streets.

I am not quite sure on that one as a brit was put in Jail a few years ago in Argao and when he came out he was not deported.I think it maybe who you know.

• Like 1