Bamboo Guns. 'Sports & hobby' or culture category?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

The kids here are in the midst of an old fad revival, methinks. Or perhaps its never really gone into remission. Lately there has been a large resurgence of bamboo gun popping in my neighborhood. Well, the bang for the buck (er... piso) is actually pretty darn good for all  the young boys. It used to catch me by surprise, but lately its become the daytime norm. I don't mind much now. Now that I am used to it. Kind of like the daily jets screaming by where I live here at the end of the runway. I guess I'm being prepared and hardened for the upcoming New Years Noise Extravaganza. :boom:

What do you think of bamboo guns?

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

What do you think of bamboo guns?

I'm ok to a degree but my doges are not too happy

• Like 3

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Since my wife educated me the other day about the bamboo gun poppers, she now points out the kids carrying them in our little cul-de-sac neighborhood as we motor trike past them en route to shopping. She informed me that they now load them with alcohol of some type instead of using crushed garlic gases like when she was a kid and her grandfather, the barangay captain, would sometimes confiscate. She told me that the boys would then cry until their fathers made them new ones. Ha Ha. Times have changed and I guess people are more used to loud noises and don't bother complaining anymore.

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

Ha Ha. Times have changed and I guess people are more used to loud noises and don't bother complaining anymore.

Correct it is called life here on the Fantasy islands :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

When they first started using them a few weeks ago our older dog got 50 meters from the house on our walk then put the brakes on.  He was more than pleased when I turned us around and headed back home.  He is better now but gets nervous when he see groups of kids playing in or near the road.  Before he was always excited to see kids and enjoyed their attention.  I came close to crashing my scooter when they first started to use them and one was fired just as I was passing by (only about 5 meters away).  Now that I know what a "cannon" or "boga" look like I am more aware and have not been taken by surprise.  In addition to the bamboo ones they also use empty soda cans to make them here.  Like many laws here, the ordinance against them does not seem to be enforced.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Around here it seems to be a holiday thing. They come out about this time every year, and stay until right after New Years.  I have seen some that look more like cannons. I want to get one of the guys to teach me how to make one ha ha :tiphat:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
On 12/10/2017 at 1:14 AM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Around here it seems to be a holiday thing. They come out about this time every year, and stay until right after New Years.  I have seen some that look more like cannons. I want to get one of the guys to teach me how to make one ha ha :tiphat:

Google “potato gun” Tim. :thumbsup:

• Like 1