Foreigners and Filipino children act

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, peterfe said:

Some people on this thread seem worried by this law, but is there really any reason to be, as long as your motives are perfectly innocent and you have some "connection" to the child? If some busybody reported you to the police, don't the police use their common sense? There must be lots of people on Philippines Expat Forum who have a wife or partner who has a child or children - has anybody had, or know of others who have had, problems for some perfectly normal thing like walking to the sweet shop with your gf's nephew?  

I would guess that people don't need to worry about ordinary activities, especially when the gf/wife or her family member is nearby, but I would advise against e.g. travelling to another town with your gf/wife's child, but without her.

One of the concerns here is it opens the door for for a corrupt policeman or two. Although the intention of the law is correct it is as many have said poorly written.

There must be many here with a partner, not wife, whom have the partners kids at home. As written  he could be liable if he is alone with the kids, it's very doubtful any law enforcement would ever take action without a complaint how ever as said it does leave the door open. Seems ever day we read about unscrupulous cops......

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Jealousy is one of the main problems, if a neighbour or relie dobs you in for being alone with a minor, it takes a bit of sorting out, all the time your in jail. Better off playing it safe and keep a reliable adult with you, sad but true. :thumbsup:

Mick
Posted
Posted

Not sure if this is true or not, but it came from the guys mouth, while his wife was sitting there so I do t have any reason to doubt it, he was shopping with the wife in Manila in a Market, and as he was stood bored waiting for his wife to pick up every potato should could to check (these are his words) a small child grabbed his hand and held it, now he said that he looked down and the child was not even looking who's hand if had grabbed and was oblivious to everything, but before he could even say anything an angry mother quickly followed by all people in the vicinity where shouting and causing a seen like he was about to abduct the child, the shouting was loud enough for the police to arrive quickly who took him and his wife away from the crowd and after hearing the story, needed money for lunch, and advised them not to shop in the market again. 

peterfe
Posted
Posted

I suppose if the only policeman likely to bother a man in that situation is a corrupt one, then maybe he could just give the policeman 10000 pesos to leave him alone. However, if that's the case, it also means that people who really are abusing children can pay off the police in the same way!

I think the advice of always having an adult with you is sound. If I ever for some reason had to take a bus or ferry with a minor relative of my gf, and she couldn't come with us, I'd make sure that her sister, female cousin or female friend went with us.