Was I right not to ?

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Everywhere is safe until your number comes up. It's in some place the numbers come up more often.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Everywhere is safe until your number comes up. It's in some place the numbers come up more often.

Understatement of the Year and full of Sarcasm, Come on let's get real EH? communication to reply.jpg lets understand Just what John is saying without the friggin Obvious Attitude.  Bad mood and attitude.jpg

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Just a simple statement no sarcasm implied. 

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted (edited)

I went to Ozamas City, shortly after martial law was imposed. Long before the recent troubles with the local Mayer. I stayed at a little resort closets town got two nights. Very nice I have mention this all another post some where so excuse the vagnous. My friends picked me up and dropped me off at the resort and when we went to eat. I walked into town one looking for a place to buy a local newspaper. It seems they do not read a lot of newspapers here. I was unsuccessful. I stopped at a small road side cafe for orange soda. The only one who noticed me were a couple of trike riders who offered me a ride.I walked all the way. On a side note my gf refused to accompany me. Said it was unsafe. I would not advise anyone to go into a area under martial law. I was a long way from where any action was

Edited by canadamale
Sorry for the spelling and grammar, I am in bed with a server head colf

virginprune
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, canadamale said:

. I would not advise anyone to go into a area under martial law. I was a long way from where any action was

The whole island is under martial law. I live here and feel safe here, an earlier comment by another member regarding crime dropping etc I find to be correct. Another comment about numbers being up can apply anywhere, regarding places more likely to become a crime victim I would surmise that Manila takes top marks.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I spent 3 weeks in Ozamis about 5 months ago during martial law but before the troubles with the local Mayor when we were visiting  some of my girlfriends family.  I stayed at a local resort hotel between the city and the airport (which was comfortable and the rooms were well sized) and traveled around sometimes with the family and sometimes in a motorbike (no taxis or jeepnees in Ozamiz).

When I was there the police check points were unmanned and everything was quiet (although the normal cautions about not flashing money or jewellery or expensive phones still apply) and I made a point of not making myself too obvious.  I didn't feel unsafe in Ozamiz at any point but YMMV.

We did drive to CDO one day and there were check points along the way and a big wait at one major check point (this was when Marawi was still under seige) and we were only about 80kms north of Marawai at one point.  The major military check point was a bit intimidating but the army personal were nothing  but polite (although they asked to check my passport at the larger check points)  It was more 'well if this is needed should I really be in this part of Mindanao? thoughts'.

CDO also felt fine (normal) but yes parts of the trip between Ozamiz and CDO made me a bit uncomfortable.

One consideration is that some insurance companies won't cover you if you're in areas that are 'do not travel' zones so it's worth while checking that.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I find it interesting that we discuss the safety of one island over another. All my friends in the US say the whole country is unsafe ha ha.  Everyone has their own level of comfort.  Right now there is no way I would go to Mindanao, but then again neither would my wife. Then again, she would not go 3 years ago when I suggested it as a vacation option.

But... recently we had mountain bandits attack a police station just a couple towns over from us, here in Iloilo.  Where is it really "safe"?  :tiphat:

(I really think a majority of what they call terrorist here are really just low life mountain bandits)

• Like 3

canadamale
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, virginprune said:

The whole island is under martial law. I live here and feel safe here, an earlier comment by another member regarding crime dropping etc I find to be correct. Another comment about numbers being up can apply anywhere, regarding places more likely to become a crime victim I would surmise that Manila takes top marks.

I did not think martial law was set up because of crime such as you find in Manila, but because a armed force took over a city

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, canadamale said:

I did not think martial law was set up because of crime such as you find in Manila, but because a armed force took over a city

Martial law was set up because of the situation in Marawi. My point was that the knock on effect has been crime reduction, including the crime of terrorism.

canadamale
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, virginprune said:

Martial law was set up because of the situation in Marawi. My point was that the knock on effect has been crime reduction, including the crime of terrorism.

I would say when a citizen picks up a foreign flag and attacks his fellow countryman. It is a declaration of war against his country and should be dealt without prejudice,if that includes martial law so be it. In Canada we have the war measures act [martial law] it was last used in 1970 when we had the FLQ a terrorist group causing problems. I very much want to go back toOzamis  City and maybe if time allows Davio City. Hopefully as you say crime seems to have decreased it will continue the same after martial law too.