Typhoon vintna

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 12/22/2017 at 8:35 PM, bastonjock said:

Looks like it's been a large dumpof rain, ive received pictures of the road outside her business ankle deep in rain water

Hope all is well there.  One of my relatives asked me of FB if we are ok, not knowing the geography.  So it is in the U.S. news.  I looked at the current news and did not realize how bad the damage and death was.  Over 200 deaths now, mostly due to flash flooding, etc.  A lot of the deaths were from one mountain village that got wipe out by a flash flood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Piagapo  and Tubod are the worst hit places in Mindanao with mudslides and reported on BBC news over 180 dead and dozens more missing.

Had very little contact with my wife but she is reporting strong winds and damage where she is, at least she appears to be safe thank God as I speak.

• Thanks 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Keep us posted on your wife John, will keep her in our thoughts.:thumbsup:

• Thanks 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is knee deep water in parts of Ozamiz (or at least there was).  Ozamiz had high winds but appear to have missed the worst of the storm.   With the family living on higher ground on the inland side of the city the water ran past and down into the low lying areas.

I find it interesting that the family dismissed the early warnings (and yes they were aware of them) (as per the comments on some news stories), "we don't get typhoons here" which appears to have been a contributing factor in people not evacuating in time.

Everyone is ok which is the main thing (and I'm glad to hear your wife is ok also John).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Thanks 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

"we don't get typhoons here" which appears to have been a contributing factor in people not evacuating in time.

Think "Pearl Harbour EH? we are all safe until :huh:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I find it interesting that the family dismissed the early warnings (and yes they were aware of them) (as per the comments on some news stories), "we don't get typhoons here" which appears to have been a contributing factor in people not evacuating in time.

That could be, but I remember when Yolanda hit in Leyte, the locals dismissed all the warnings by saying "we get lots of typhoons here, we are used to them".  So you cannot win, filipinos are just stubborn about not preparing for storms.  It is frustrating when family members are in it.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Kuya John said:

My thoughts and prayers go out to those caught up in the Typhoon and disaster of the flooding.

I am with you there JB but have to add that whilst the Flood is a natural thing the mall was I feel something that may/could have been averted with so many deaths, Old Building no real Fire prevention and fire fighting Equipment and after my visit to a large mall only this week, Absolutely no Crowd control, alright letting so many in but over capacity is bad when you need to get them Out.

:571c66d400c8c_1(103):  Sorry Guys and Girls but......................... Just look around you tomorrow and see/look where accidents can happen in Malls:huh: They will be crammed Full

:508:

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The latest, a jeepnee overtaking a line of traffic in La Union hit a coach head on and wiped out a whole extended family. 20 dead.

• Sad 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

The latest, a jeepnee overtaking a line of traffic in La Union hit a coach head on and wiped out a whole extended family. 20 dead.

That is so sad, my wife was really upset and I feel for her :sad:

• Like 1