Is Tipping 20% Too Much in the Philippines?

bows00
Posted
Posted

If I eat at an American franchise restaurant in the Philippines, I could easily spend $20 (1000 peso) for me and my date.  In the US, I would normally tip 20%, or $4 (200 peso).  Now based on what the waitress/waiter earns in the Philippines, that's a lot...

What is the normal tipping practices there?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, bows00 said:

What is the normal

There is no normal among the foreigners coming to Philippines.  Many want to bring their tipping practice from their own country, however some who have been here a long time tend to tip a lot less.  Even among the local people tipping is "up to you" so rich filipinos will often show off by tipping high and the poor will tip nothing.  So its still up to you.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted (edited)

I usually tip 20p for my morning breakfast, and up to 50p for a more expensive dinner with good service. In my opinion 200p is half a days wages and probably overkill. I also tip 10p for the guy who helps me park my SUV.

Edited by Happyhorn52
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

On my first trip to the Philippines i use to leave to much in Emma's eyes, but to me it was just like being in England.

She would pick it up and leave such a small amount, her answer to this was if i leave so much then they would expect the same amount from others, in the end i made sure i paid the bill and she paid the tip as i walked out with my head held down.

Now remember this is going back a few years so times may have changed since then.

• Like 1

Howard
Posted
Posted

I do usually tip but I first check the receipt to see if there is an added service charge. If there is a service charge I won't tip unless the server was really good. When I do tip it's not 20%. I find in metro manila that 100 peso's or 50 for that matter has any server jumping for joy!

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I dont know about all restaurants but the bigger ones share the tips with all staff so it's not like giving to one personally for his or her service. Sometimes I tip, others not or just leave whatever coins are returned with the change. 

I know I have said this before but tipping countries like America generally tip to boost the salary of low paid workers which are paid that way and basically work for tips but the Philippines is a standard rate for the industry and area so is not considered low. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

but the Philippines is a standard rate for the industry and area

10% or as we do at our meetings, you get a good barman he is worth 20 peso  :smile:

bows00
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont know about all restaurants but the bigger ones share the tips with all staff so it's not like giving to one personally for his or her service. 

I personally hate this system.  I normally want my money to go to the person that rendered the good service.  Do you think I could get the waiter/waitress in trouble if I tucked the money in my hand and placed in his/her hand?