Is Tipping 20% Too Much in the Philippines?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, LUFCinMakati said:

We will have to disagree on this one Mate, I think its more about the amount and the percentage, plus if there is a service charge.

Of Course we can agree or disagree and thats what its about. Let me ask you if you were born in say Australia where tipping is not generally the thing and the reason why is in Aus the salary is much higher than the states or is not based on a retainer and tips would you still tip a nice amount because the say USA influence? 

6 hours ago, scott h said:

But the real bottom line here is, leaving a large tip make ME feel good and makes ME feel happy

That's great and if you can afford it even better. Many people are living here on pensions or battling to meet needs which blows the theory of all Expats are rich out of the water but then comes the situation as years go forth, waiters are influenced by all the big tipping people and expect it. Is it a Filipino culture to tip or a feel good from those who come from elsewhere who have the money to do so? 

At the end of the day everyone does what they want to by their own standards or culture but the thing is when changing a culture with one's own then why not pay US prices as thats what will happen eventually. 

Just my opinion and again this is just a discussion. 

• Like 2

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Of Course we can agree or disagree and thats what its about. Let me ask you if you were born in say Australia where tipping is not generally the thing and the reason why is in Aus the salary is much higher than the states or is not based on a retainer and tips would you still tip a nice amount because the say USA influence? 

That's great and if you can afford it even better. Many people are living here on pensions or battling to meet needs which blows the theory of all Expats are rich out of the water but then comes the situation as years go forth, waiters are influenced by all the big tipping people and expect it. Is it a Filipino culture to tip or a feel good from those who come from elsewhere who have the money to do so? 

At the end of the day everyone does what they want to by their own standards or culture but the thing is when changing a culture with one's own then why not pay US prices as thats what will happen eventually. 

Just my opinion and again this is just a discussion. 

Well I wasn't born in Australia LOL.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Doesn't matter where you were born, you're in the Philippines now and Philippines rules apply.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

I read that tipping 20% is too much.  It seems that the leaning tower of Pisa would fall down if it tipped 20%. :hystery:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

We usually leave P20.

The lady who hails taxis and packs our groceries in the trunk at Savemore gets P20 (and a bottle of sweet sparkling wine at New Years because of her wonderful attitude. I just love that woman.). The guards and taxi packers at S&R get P20 thrown in the trunk because they can't accept tips in the open.

Lately, my wife has been double-checking for a service charge on the receipt at restos and won't leave a tip if they charge one.

We were at a new resto in the SM City here in Davao when my wife, paying at the register, asked about putting money in the "Tips" jar. The cashier quickly said, "No! Don't put anything in there! The owner keeps it all! If you want to tip, tip on the table."

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JDDavao said:

We usually leave P20.

The lady who hails taxis and packs our groceries in the trunk at Savemore gets P20 (and a bottle of sweet sparkling wine at New Years because of her wonderful attitude. I just love that woman.). The guards and taxi packers at S&R get P20 thrown in the trunk because they can't accept tips in the open.

Lately, my wife has been double-checking for a service charge on the receipt at restos and won't leave a tip if they charge one.

We were at a new resto in the SM City here in Davao when my wife, paying at the register, asked about putting money in the "Tips" jar. The cashier quickly said, "No! Don't put anything in there! The owner keeps it all! If you want to tip, tip on the table."

I often wonder if the exchange rate drops to say 50% of what it is will people still continue to tip for everything and in some peoples cases up tp 20 % or would there be an adjustment? This is not a question directed at you but for all. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

if the exchange rate drops to say 50%

most likely, because we probably would only go out to restaurants 50% as much. :whistling: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 11/1/2018 at 7:14 PM, scott h said:

Now how do "I" translate my tipping to the Philippines. As someone noted above, we tend to go to the same restaurants all the time (the wife is not the adventurous type lol) and when we enter the joint smiles are abundant, service is great, and they know what we like and how we like to be treated. So I like to look at it as an investment.

This is the problem I have with tipping cultures. What are you investing in - getting good service or not getting bad service? Surely we don't have to pay to get an acceptable level of service? Anything more than acceptable is more than I need t.b.h.

And the whole theory kinda collapses bearing in mind you are tipping only 1 small part of the chain.

I'm not criticising the tipping culture in the USA - as you say it's part of the American psyche, but there is no reason to import it into the Philippines because it's not part of the psyche here. And is it just the thin end of the wedge, should we also import other elements of culture just because it's the way we do it back home?

Everyone to their own but let's hope the few don't spoil it for the many by doing it their way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Are we expected to tip the gas attendant when he/she fills up our vehicles? I tip for extra service like cleaning  the car window screen or testing the oil ect. P20 lang

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Are we expected to tip the gas attendant when he/she fills up our vehicles?

I give 5 pesos per tire if they fill the air in the tires for me.  They seem to graciously expect that.  I also give a little bit when they clean the windows, they seem to graciously accept that.  When I simply fill the tank and it comes to 1485 and I give 1500 and say keep the change (as I don't want to wait around for 15 pesos) they usually accept but look at me like I'm an alien as I suppose locals do not do that.  Just my opinion.