Is Tipping 20% Too Much in the Philippines?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

They seem to graciously expect that. 

What a lovely word, and of course that is what a Tip is, a Gratuity and is given in respect of services offered and carried out to our satisfaction :smile:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

What a lovely word, and of course that is what a Tip is, a Gratuity and is given in respect of services offered and carried out to our satisfaction :smile:

I dont know. When I order at Mc Donald's or Jollibee I get a smile, usually good service and if eating in and part of the order is delayed they bring it to the table so l respect their services but l never see anyone tipping including me. :smile:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont know. When I order at Mc Donald's or Jollibee I get a smile, usually good service and if eating in and part of the order is delayed they bring it to the table so l respect their services but l never see anyone tipping including me. :smile:

No nor me but I suspect that is because it is frowned on by management and they not allowed to accept, I believe that is why they have sewn up Pockets for that very reason  which has been mentioned here before :mellow:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

No nor me but I suspect that is because it is frowned on by management and they not allowed to accept, I believe that is why they have sewn up Pockets for that very reason  which has been mentioned here before :mellow:

Its all rather unfair this tipping thing. As some said there are places who the owner keeps the tips, others correctly share but lets look at a supermarket. The boy who carry's or pushes a cart to the taxi gets a tip but the cashier putting all your things through and at times bagging it gets nothing just like the staff who stock shelves or cut meat ETC. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Its all rather unfair this tipping thing. As some said there are places who the owner keeps the tips, others correctly share but lets look at a supermarket. The boy who carry's or pushes a cart to the taxi gets a tip but the cashier putting all your things through and at times bagging it gets nothing just like the staff who stock shelves or cut meat ETC. 

Totally agree with you :thumbsup:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Totally agree with you

Jack, this is the tipping topic. No one is meant to agree with me :hystery:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

import other elements of culture just because it's the way we do it back home?

Why not? Being long married to a Filipina who lived in the states for a long time and has lots of relatives there. I can not count the number of times we went to a funeral home and sat for hours eating food and chatting about everything but the dead. Or went to a kids birthday party and, yep you guessed it, there it was, a videoke machine with the volume way to high.  I could go on and on :hystery:.

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

don't spoil it for the many

No worries, if you ever have to come to Manila for some reason, send me a PM. I will give you a list of restaurants we go to so you wont be expected to tip like I do :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, jimeve said:

I tip for extra service like cleaning  the car window screen or testing the oil ect.

Well, I don't have to get out of the car and the air con, I always give the guy 20 pesos, worth it to me. (I sweat a lot)

2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

They seem to graciously expect that. 

One thing we might agree on Dave, are those guys that tap on your rear fender as you back out of a parking spot. I absolutely refuse to give them a centavo, I have be parking kars for nearly 50 years now. If I need some help, time to sell the car :mocking: 

Mick
Posted
Posted

I saw something at passport control in Thailand when flying out, each window has a sticker saying "No Tipping" has anyone ever tried, I would think they would suspect you of something if you tried,.... Very strange

Viking
Posted
Posted (edited)

I also come from a country with no culture of tipping and I guess thats why its a bit difficult for us to understand it.

To me it makes more sense if the employer pays their staff a decent salary instead of having them to relay on tips.

I also agree to those who said it is better to adjust to the local culture of tipping, not doing as we do in our native countries.

Beacause of that I usually tip at restaurants, 20-50p per person,  and when having massage 50-200p if it is good. If service is bad-no tip.

Do you think it has to do with feeling rich and make you feel good to give big tip?

Wonder if the bigtipper would also tip 20% on the bill if they go to a place where prices are 50-100 % higher than there nativ place??

Why does not the ticketguy on the bus, those working in the supermarket as JGF said and many other servicejobs, get any tips?

To me, this system seems unfair.

Like others already said, I think it is up to the individual to choose how to do this

Edited by Viking
spelling

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Viking said:

I also agree to those who said it is better to adjust to the local culture of tipping, not doing as we do in our native countries.

If I understand you , you are saying it is the local Filipino culture but it is not.