Is Tipping 20% Too Much in the Philippines?

bows00
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

After all, I am retired and deserved to be pampered :feetontable_anim:

I don't know if I deserve to be pampered, but it sure makes for an enjoyable experience.  If you can afford it, why not?  

Here in the US, I have encountered instances where couples eat out and don't leave any tip because they can't afford to.  To me, that's wrong.  If your not in a position to provide a decent tip you have no business eating out - cook at home instead.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

JGF, them establishments won't allow their staff to accept tips, I've tried, even talked to the floor manager, no tips allowed. But the floor manager did tell me we could buy a peach pie for the waiter so he could eat it after work.:smile:  Personally, I think it might have something to do with Peso's falling out of the till into the pocket. :thumbsup: I was thinking of investing in the peach pie share market after learning that. :whistling:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, scott h said:

After all, I am retired and deserved to be pampered 

I hear what you are saying and its very kind of you to give gifts to your friends/waitresses, but would you do that in a restaurant when you are here on vacation and you are only going to be in that restaurant one time?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bows00 said:

If your not in a position to provide a decent tip you have no business eating out - cook at home instead. 

A cheap Aussie friend of mine had a similar conversation with me regarding Philippine massage therapists.

I tried to tell him how the therapists survive on tips as the business owner pays them very little for giving a massage.  He told me that it was the business owner's responsibility to provide staff and the customer's business whether to tip or not.  Just because everyone else does it does not mean everyone else has the right to tell my cheap Aussie friend he should tip.  

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bows00 said:

If your not in a position to provide a decent tip you have no business eating out - cook at home instead.  

In the US where tipping is part of life I can see why you'd have this attitude but in countries where it's not the norm even people in less fortunate financial situations are entitled to some joy in life....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bows00 said:

If your not in a position to provide a decent tip you have no business eating out

Oh! Why? I go out to enjoy what I feel like enjoying not just to hand out Tips. Your Mood/attitude will change in due course, when it sounds like you would even pay for the Bad food and Service you will/may come across when here full time, For me, Tips are earned by those that want to give a little value to my outing :whistling: :smile:  

Edited by Jack Peterson
Spelling AGAIN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, scott h said:

Now this is just me, but for 4 USD to be treated well and know in advance that we will have an enjoyable experience is not so much a tip but more of an investment for the future.

So business such as restaurants should only give VIP treatment to those paying a decent tip or should a business treat everyone the same if they value their customers. I always thought that to run a good business you please the customer regardless. 

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

you are only going to be in that restaurant one time?

I would give the yankee normal 15%. I even did it in Australia believe it or not

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I always thought that to run a good business you please the customer regardless. 

Jolly, its just me, if the service is lousy, I wont tip, fortunately I honestly can not remember a time here where we were not treated well.

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

So business such as restaurants should only give VIP treatment to those paying a decent tip or should a business treat everyone the same if they value their customers. I always thought that to run a good business you please the customer regardless. 

So when you engage your sons/daughters in a soccer league, do you also believe that everyone deserves trophy?   Regardless of results?  Generosity, if affordable, should have its benefits.  It is a natural human reaction.

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1