HKIA and Cebu Pacific Airlines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I will be arriving at Hong Kong International Airport on an Air Canada flight from Vancouver and transferring to a Cebu Pacific flight to Manila/Dumaguete.  I chose that route due to cost and convenience.  Cebu Pacific flies into T3 from Hong Kong and out of T3 to Dumaguete so I don't need to change terminals in Manila Whew!

So the problem I am having is checking into the Cebu Pacific flight within the secure area of HKIA.  I have no luggage so it used to be a simple matter (many years ago) of going to Cebu Pacific transfer desk in the secure area but . . . . they don't have one any more.

So does anyone know a work around that avoids having to go out through customs, check in again, go through security and back to the secure area?

I am thinking "print my own boarding pass" but that has not worked for me on International flights before.  Maybe I could check in at the gate where my flight leaves from (but no because they won't let me go from arrivals to departures without a boarding pass).  So maybe there is an interline agreement where another airline could print a boarding pass?  Anyone done it?

Yes, I did contact Cebu Pacific to ask this question but it must be too complex for them because the answer was totally useless.  They obviously did not understand the question.

Anyone?

• Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So the problem I am having is checking into the Cebu Pacific flight within the secure area of HKIA.  I have no luggage so it used to be a simple matter (many years ago) of going to Cebu Pacific transfer desk in the secure area but . . . . they don't have one any more.

If you are already in the secure area then why do you have to leave?

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

If you are already in the secure area then why do you have to leave?

I think that Dave is worried that there will be a problem passing through the security checks within the transfers area if he does not have an onward boarding pass.

My only suggestion is to print out your itinerary (CP used to be sticklers for printed evidence of an onward flight from the Philippines) the online receipt for your booking, and a boarding pass (if you can). At HKIA airlines usually have ground staff waiting by the arrivals gate to assist with transfers. I would show them what you have and ask for their advice. My experience (albeit with Cathay Pacific and Air China ground staff) is they are helpful and know the workings of the airport well.

If you do have to exit and re-enter the good news is that they seem to have streamlined the immigration process for visitors at HKIA. In April I visited HK from Beijing with a Mongolian friend. She got through Immigration almost as quickly as I passed through the e-channel with my HK identity card (although YMMV).

• Like 3

jrlee183
Posted
Posted

Dave - Jardine Airport services Ltd are the ground agents for Cebu Pacific at HKIA and they are also the ground agents for a number of full service carriers (E.g. ANA/Air Canada).  They will almost certainly have an airside transfer desk after you get of your flight from Vancouver. They could probably print out a boarding pass if you show them the document cebu pacific give you after doing online check in.

Worst case you will need to go landside, which is usually very quick and straightforward and they dont even stamp your passport anymore (you just get a slip of printed paper).

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

I can't see you have a problem here, Dave, as you are already 'airside'. Just print a copy of your boarding pass prior to your HKIA flight and go direct to the gate allocated to your CebPac flight. I think you can print out your CebPac boarding pass 7 days prior to departure.

Ken

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Huggybearman said:

I can't see you have a problem here, Dave, as you are already 'airside'. Just print a copy of your boarding pass prior to your HKIA flight and go direct to the gate allocated to your CebPac flight. I think you can print out your CebPac boarding pass 7 days prior to departure.

Ken

That is correct as he will check in online up to 7 days prior. Once checked in it gives the option of printing the boarding pass so thats all you need these days.  

Just to add, although it says Filipino it should make no difference.

Filipino passport holders without check-in bags flying from Osaka, Narita, Hong Kong or Taipei can go straight to gate once checked in online.

https://www.cebupacificair.com/en-sg/pages/plan-trip/fast-check-in-options/web-online-mobile

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
  • Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We flew into HK on Air France some years ago and on to the Phils with Cebu Pacific. They used different terminals, although side by side we had to exit through customs and back in again. It was quick so not a problem. In the reverse give Cebu Pacific plenty of time as we were over an hour late leaving Manila :Caught:

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)

Last October I went thru HK on way to Cebu. Had to go thru immigration, but was fast and as someone else said they only gave me a slip of paper. Upon reentry I onky showed them that with my passport and the eTicket/boarding pass on my phone. No hassle at all. 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Thanks all for the fast and detailed information.  I shall post how it goes at a later date.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I have never transited HK but have been in and out several times. Has always been fairly quick and efficient so unless you have an extremely short layover you won't have any problems. 

Unless Air Canada is in a group with Cebu Pacific, CP will look at you as starting in HK and want to check you in to verify onward ticket ect. 

HK has great wifi so you could easily buy an onward ticket on Expedia at the HK airport and cancel it in Manila - well within the 24 hour cancellation deadline. Will hold an amount on your credit card a few days but by the end of the week you had a legitimate onward ticket to enter that cost you nothing. I have used this strategy many times for several countries, not just the Philippines.

• Like 1