Advice for a new expat in the Philippines

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Mick said:

i wont be really working, i will just maybe have a few meetings while im there with our client, most work will be in the rest of Asia, so im hoping this is OK

Still a very dodgy situation over here whilst on a tourist visa. Chances are you will get away with a few meetings but you must weigh up the pros and cons. You get away with it and everyone is happy. You get caught, face a possible blacklisting and kicked out of the Philippines never to return again. That might put a dampener on your wedding and the house you have here. Not to mention sticking your head above the radar with your employer. This is a very small risk but someone has to win the lottery as they say.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Mick, you say you are marrying in April, timewise how does this fit with you job relocation.

Mick
Posted
Posted

Hi Gary, it could as late as May the wedding, (she is looking for venues and the usual stuff now) but I will in Manila from end of January

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Mick, as you must know traffic in Manila is a major problem. You may want to avoid owning or leasing a car but instead have an arrangement with a cab driver or two who live nearby. We found this useful several times.

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Mick, go with old 55's suggestion, have you been to Manila yet? Once there, you'll know what he is talking about, absolutely frightening seeing a bus come at you on the wrong side of the road. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

allancomeau
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Old55 said:

Mick, as you must know traffic in Manila is a major problem. You may want to avoid owning or leasing a car but instead have an arrangement with a cab driver or two who live nearby. We found this useful several times.

Totally agree. Driving is really bad idea....for a novice to the Philippines.  It helps if you have a Death Wish

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Grab, Uber or just flagging a taxi down and ensuring it's on the meter is the way ahead. Driving somewhere then trying to park would be too stressful for most people and add to this, every now and again especially in the Makati, BGC area they close off roads and divert traffic.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Driving somewhere then trying to park would be too stressful for most people

Sometimes, especially during peak hour traffic in Cebu, even riding in a taxi is too stressful for me.  When it takes an hour to go the same distance I can walk in an hour it is frustrating.  So I do walk, except when I am going somewhere that I don't want to be all sweaty for.  Then I am stuck in a cab and thankful that I left the car at the hotel.  But that is Cebu.  I have found Manila to be a whole other game as the taxis gouge real deep there.  Easy to find taxis that will gouge a flat rate of 3 times what the meter would read and hard to find taxis that will run by the meter.

Story:  Last month at the Mactan airport in Cebu I waited in line for an hour to get a metered white taxi and the son of a bitch had the audacity to tell me he was going to charge me a flat rate of 300 pesos for a trip that should have been 125 on the meter.  I blew up at him and he was not happy.  He turned on the meter and argued that I owed him 40 on top of the meter because I did not tell him to turn it on right away.  Not wanting to make a federal case out of it I agreed.  By the end of the trip I was actually smiling at the thought of this guy pulling a fast one on me so I gave him his 40 on top and a smile.  Then I looked at the meter and the 40 and said:  "See, no 300".  He smiled back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

allancomeau
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Driving somewhere then trying to park would be too stressful for most people and add to this, every now and again especially in the Makati, BGC area they close off roads and divert traffic.

Yep  a co-worker insisted on driving to Makati - after 30 minutes he finally gave up looking for parking nearby. The only place was a really long walk - we ended up taking a taxi from the parking lot

• Like 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

Heard from an incident where someone used near to 3 hours for just 1.2 km in his car near the Ortigas Center in Manila. Walking would have been much faster.

• Like 1