Another unique vine makes a natural curtain

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The only problem with vines is that they can cause structural damage to buildings. Seen many a brick  house back in Aus cracked because of vines growing up the wall. Fine in the right place and kept in trim. Nice flower on that vine Queenie. 

:goodluck_80_anim_gif:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The only problem with vines is that they can cause structural damage to buildings. Seen many a brick  house back in Aus cracked because of vines growing up the wall. Fine in the right place and kept in trim. Nice flower on that vine Queenie. 

If you have space on the sun side of your house, you cannot get much better insulation that shade from a plant.  I agree with not wanting it to take growth on the house.  A nice well designed trellis is easy to install and maintain the vine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Thanks. I know what you mean JGF--English Ivy can often be seen in Europe and the US too, making strong invasive roots that can crack brickwork and foundations. Luckily neither of these vines I mentioned have invasive roots.They can get a little unruly over time, but can be trimmed back easily with a small  pair of pruning shears or a pair of scissors even.:smile:

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, intrepid said:

If you have space on the sun side of your house, you cannot get much better insulation that shade from a plant.  I agree with not wanting it to take growth on the house.  A nice well designed trellis is easy to install and maintain the vine.

That's very true Intrepid. The vines do add to cooling insulation and shade. I wanted a kind of "cottage style" look to the house from the front, and I think that these vines have helped with that. Free standing or mounted metal or wooden trellis structures are another good way to maintain vines as you say.

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Just another footnote Queenie, although the vines look nice growing up house structures, many a house has gone up in flames because someone has discarded a cigarette butt into the base of the vines. Sorry if I've deflated your post but trellises at least 2 m away from the building is a safe distance.

I like to read posts of gardening and over time you have posted some wonderful pictures, more please, Sorry again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
On 1/10/2018 at 12:59 AM, Reboot said:

I have seen those in FL but not too common here I think.

http://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/mastergardener/outreach/plant_id/flowers_indoor/wax_plant.html

Yes Reboot--I've seen a lot of these Hoyas in FL on YouTube.  That Hoya carnosa is a beautiful one!  Back when I was a Peace Corps living in a rented house in town, there was one of these growing all over the front window box. They looked and felt like fancy flower cake decorations. I'd like to find that one to grow here in the yard too.

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
On 1/10/2018 at 6:45 AM, Clermont said:

Just another footnote Queenie, although the vines look nice growing up house structures, many a house has gone up in flames because someone has discarded a cigarette butt into the base of the vines. Sorry if I've deflated your post but trellises at least 2 m away from the building is a safe distance.

I like to read posts of gardening and over time you have posted some wonderful pictures, more please, Sorry again.

Thanks Clermont, I'll try to post some more over time too.:smile:  Good thought about possible fires--I suppose on windows, in any jungle garden like mine, that's a potential hazard. I'll have to keep an eye on smokers who visit.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
Balisidar
Posted
Posted
On 1/10/2018 at 4:03 PM, Queenie O. said:

Thanks Clermont, I'll try to post some more over time too.:smile:  Good thought about possible fires--I suppose on windows, in any jungle garden like mine, that's a potential hazard. I'll have to keep an eye on smokers who visit.

Hmm.  If you built a trellis two meters away from you house, then attached is to the eaves/overhang of your roof, that would make a nice and cool covered walkway.

• Like 2