ATM Networks

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It came to light yesterday that some people may have trouble getting money from ATMs in Philippines if they are on the wrong Interbank network.  Not all Debits, Visas and Mastercards are the same.  Many/most have multiple networks like Cirrus, Plus etc (you can look on the back of your card to see what networks your card works with).

One network from England seems like it may be a problem.  Link Network claims to have no ATMS in Philippines so if you are coming with a card that is on the Link network only, you may want to be sure you can access your money. 

Link.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

Oh B******s!!!!

:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

jrlee183
Posted
Posted

Most card issuing banks in the UK will issue a debit card as opposed to a standalone ATM card.  Whilst some do have the Link logo on the back, the debit aspect of the card falls under the Visa or mastercard/maestro network which should also work for ATM withdrawals. 

A more frequent issue I have found is whilst the ATM machine would appear to be functioning perfectly normally, the link between the ATM and the international network is down.  Happens to me quite regularly.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, jrlee183 said:

which should also work for ATM withdrawals. 

In most large cities in Philippines you can find an ATM with one of the networks used worldwide, but when I lived in Naval, Biliran there were many foreigners with cards that did not work in any of the ATMs there, due to being on a network that the machines did not deal with.

Of course that all may be modernized now.  5 years ago it meant that foreigners on those rare networks had to go to Cebu and find an ATM but as I say, it may be modernized now.  Not something I'd chance though, trusting that the Philippines has modernized I mean :hystery: :hystery:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

One network from England seems like it may be a problem.  Link Network claims to have no ATMS in Philippines

It probably meant that they have no owned branded machines in the Philippines.  :morning1:

jrlee183
Posted
Posted

Slightly OT, but for those who do have this problem a solution could be to sign up for something like Paysera or Revolut.  Both provide basic banking facilities with a debit card and have much better exchange rates and lower fees. 

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

OK, well I have managed to find an ATM that is 'Link' friendly.  It is the BDO by the Bell Tower in Duma.  It only has a maximum withdrawal of 10,000 peso at a charge of 250 peso, not ideal but at least it is a start whilst I try and locate other banks that are 'Link' friendly. 

Thanks guys for your input.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Eddie1 said:

OK, well I have managed to find an ATM that is 'Link' friendly.  It is the BDO by the Bell Tower in Duma.  It only has a maximum withdrawal of 10,000 peso at a charge of 250 peso, not ideal but at least it is a start whilst I try and locate other banks that are 'Link' friendly. 

You could try to remit yourself with that card or give it to me and I will check it in Thailand.I wont spend your money well not too much anyway. At least you found somewhere mate.

• Haha 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

Did you get around to trying a BPI machine?

• Like 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

My BDO card will allow me to withdraw 50,000p in a day, but only in five 10,000p transactions. I'm not sure of the logic of this unless it's to maximize the BDO transaction fees.

• Like 1